Finalists in business plan competition to present pitches

CSUFCFECompetition

The business plan competition is hosted each year by the Center for Entrepreneurship. The finals will include three distinct teams who will pitch their own business plan. (Courtesy of Cal State Fullerton Center for Entrepreneurship)

In a battle to see who has the best business concept among Cal State Fullerton’s student body, three teams of contestants will present their 15-minute pitches to a panel Friday as part of the final stage in a business plan competition.

Judges will grade pitches based on criteria that includes the opportunity the new business plan offers, the financial viability of the product and challenges the team could face.

“It is extremely tough (to pick a winner) and there is going to be a diversity of opinion, even with a six-judge panel,” said Travis Lindsay, the coordinator of the Mihaylo College Center for Entrepreneurship.

The judges will choose between finalists Cordomi Rentals, Eagle Eye Engineering and White Light Medical, all of whom possess different focuses for their respective businesses to earn top recognition.

“Every team that has made it to the finals really believes that they are going to start a business and they are really dedicated to making it successful,” Lindsay said.

Quinn Royston is the founder and CEO of Cordomi Rentals, a company that will provide a mobile application and website to easily assist people in finding rental properties that welcome different breeds of animals. He said people invest in businesses because of why they were created.

“My game plan going into this pitch is to not really so much sell my business, it’s to tell a story about how this business can solve a problem that many Americans face,” Royston said. “There’s not a lot of properties that are completely pet-friendly; there’s a lot of people who have pets.”

According to the American Pet Products Association, 62 percent of American households have at least one pet. This means pet-friendly property owners have more than double the pool of potential tenants than landlords who do not accept pets.

“We (Cordomi) make sure that the solution is incredibly simple,” Royston said. “You can find a home (that allows pets) within seconds.”

Eagle Eye Engineering team members, led by Associated Students Inc. President Rohullah Latif, has created a prototype practice unit for archers to train more efficiently in winter conditions.

The engineers developed a mathematical formula to assist archers in determining their arrow trajectory by figuring out the path an arrow must follow to stay accurate, accounting for harsh weather changes. This allows archers to train outdoors rather than indoors during the winter.

The White Light Medical Team looked for ways to increase effectiveness in regards to spinal cord surgeries.

Andre Conde, an accounting and finance student, teamed up with an undergraduate from Johns Hopkins University to create a device that has the potential to speed up the recovery of spinal injury by creating a smaller probe to measure changes in force.

Conde said his team had a pre-launch and post-launch plan for the spinal device that will be explained in his pitch, including research, development and an analysis of today’s economic market.

“More than anything, I think it (the competition) has helped us gain exposure,” he said. “The more exposure we gain, the more we put ourselves out there, the more practice we have presenting our business.”

The competition finals are set to take place Friday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. in Pavilion A of the Titan Student Union.

About Kyle Nault

Kyle Nault is a staff writer from the Spring 2014 COMM 471 class.