CSUF women’s hoops blown away by Cyclones

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team’s struggles continued after losing on the road to No. 20 Iowa State University 79-52 on Sunday.

In a game of runs, the Titans only trailed by two points at the half, but they were plagued by poor shooting, turnovers and fouls, and were unable to gain a lead.

The Cyclones shot an efficient 51 total field-goal percentage for the game, while the Titans shot a poor 29.5 total field-goal percentage.

A huge factor in the game was the large disparity in free-throw shooting. The Cyclones were aggressive and got to the charity stripe 28 times, converting 22 of them for a 78.6 percentage. Meanwhile, the Titans only reached the free-throw line eight times, scoring on five of their attempts.

Iowa State’s aggressive play forced CSUF into some foul trouble, as three Titan guards tallied four fouls, including juniors Chante Miles and Tailer Butler and freshman Samantha Logan.

This marked the Titans’ fourth loss in a row and their third loss in double digits in that stretch. The loss dropped CSUF’s record to 1-7, while the Cyclones improved their unbeaten record to 8-0.

The leading scorer for the game was Iowa State senior forward Hallie Christofferson, who has continued to lead the powerhouse Cyclones in scoring. She dropped 33 points on 11-of-16 shooting from the field. Christofferson also grabbed eight rebounds, blocked a game-high three shots and was perfect from the free-throw line, going 10 for 10.

Off the bench for the Cyclones, guard Nicole Blaskowsky fortified the lead scoring 16 points on 7-of-12 shooting from the field. Starting guard Nikki Moody continued to lead the Cyclones in assists, dishing out a game-high nine in the win. Guard Seanna Johnson established Iowa State’s presence on the defensive glass, cleaning up many of the Titans’ misses and grabbing a game-high 12 rebounds.

For the Titans, sophomore guard Hailey King led the team in scoring with 13 points on 4-of-16 shooting and six rebounds in the loss. Senior guard Alex Thomas provided 11 points, shooting 4-for-9, and grabbed four rebounds.

Miles had an all-around good game, collecting 10 points, five rebounds and team-high six assists. However, she unfortunately led the Titans with five of the team’s 15 turnovers, an Achilles’ heel for the team throughout the 2013-14 season.
Miles, the only Titan averaging double digits in scoring this season, played the entire 40 minutes of the game.

First-year Head Coach Daron Park has taken over a Titans program coming off a disappointing season and is looking to rejuvenate the team once again. Park has tried shifting the lineups around as the Titans try to find an identity this season.

The schedule has been tough and will only get harder as they look to jump into the meat of non-conference play before embarking on their Big West Conference action.

Up next for the Titans is a return back home to Titan Gym to take on a tough Arizona State team Saturday at 5 p.m. The Sun Devils are on a hot streak, winning six in a row and will provide another tough matchup for the Titans.

The game Saturday is Autograph Night, where everyone in attendance can get a set of signatures from the team The Titans will look for inspiration from fans at the game to bounce back against the Sun Devils.

For more information on the CSUF women’s basketball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

About Abraham Jauregui