CSUF women’s basketball look to turn season around

Deanna Trombley / Daily Titan

Deanna Trombley / Daily Titan

The 2013-2014 season has not been kind to the Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team as they embark for their first home win of the season.

First year Head Coach Daron Park will be looking to lead the Titans (1-7) against the tough and resilient Arizona State Sun Devils (8-1) on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Titan Gym.

The Titans are currently on a four-game losing streak and have only managed one away victory against Columbia University so far this season.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, the Sun Devils will enter the game on a hot streak. Arizona State’s sole loss came against the undefeated San Diego Toreros on Nov. 13 and since then, Head Coach Charli Turner Thorne has lead them to seven consecutive victories. The Sun Devils have shown their grittiness by grinding out two overtime wins during that stretch.

Recently, the Sun Devils won the ASU Classic Tournament which they hosted. They beat out CSUF’s Big West rival Long Beach State in overtime.

The Sun Devils attack with a balanced offense. Deja Mann and Adrianne Thomas are the only players on the Arizona State roster averaging double digit scoring with 13.4 and 10.7, respectively. There are five Sun Devils averaging over eight points per game and have had four different players lead the team in scoring in their nine games.

Junior guard Chante Miles has lead the Titans’ attack throughout the season and is leading the team by dropping 14.2 points per game. Miles has also been setting up her fellow Titans, dishing out 4.75 assists per game and fights hard on the boards, averaging 2.9 rebounds.

Another key contributor is junior forward Kathleen Iwuoha, who is averaging 10 points a game and pulling down 5.7 rebounds per game.

The Titans continue to miss the services of senior forward Mya Olivier. Park is teaching a “to the rim” mentality and the Titans have struggled to establish a post presence without Olivier in the lineup. Olivier went down with a knee injury in the first game of the season and has not returned since. The team is hoping for the return of Olivier, who lead the Titans to the semifinals of the Big West Conference tournament last season.

The Titans lost 79-52 on the road to Iowa State in their most recent contest. As has been the case all season; poor shooting, free throws, turnovers and fouls were all factors of the team’s loss.

CSUF committed 15 turnovers in the match, the same amount the team is averaging for the season. The Titans have also shot themselves in the foot by not capitalizing on their free throws. As a team, the Titans are shooting 66 percent from the charity stripe. If the Titans expect to turn this season around, they need to stop making these errors and play a cleaner game.

While students are enjoying winter break, the team will still be in action. Over the break, some notable games coming up for the Titans include their Big West Conference opener against UC Riverside on Jan. 9 and a matchup with the reigning Big West champion Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Mustangs on Jan. 23.

The match Saturday against Arizona State will feature Autograph Night, where all fans in attendance can get autographs from their favorite Titans.

For more information on the CSUF women’s basketball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

About Tameem Seraj

Tameem is a journalism major and kinesiology minor in his senior year. He is a copy editor for the Daily Titan at Cal State University Fullerton.

About Brittany Currie