CSUF men’s soccer appoint George Kuntz as new head coach

Cal State Fullerton’s Athletics Director Jim Donovan formally announced George Kuntz as their eighth men’s soccer head coach in the program’s history during a press conference Monday afternoon at Titan Stadium.

Kuntz previously served as head coach of UC Irvine for the past 19 years and brings with him a 319-217-64 record over his 26-year-career. In the past six years, Kuntz lead the Anteaters to four NCAA tournament appearances and four Big West Tournament Championships (2008, 2009, 2011, 2013). Kuntz has won Big West Coach of the year honors three times (2001, 2006, 2008).

Last season he lead the Anteaters to the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament where they were downed by eventual College Cup runner-up and the No. 5 ranked Maryland Terrapins. During the 2011 season, the Anteaters were ranked as high as No. 8 in the nation and compiled a 16-6-1 record that season.

Kuntz replaces Bob Ammann, who served at the helm of the program since 2006. Kuntz takes over a team that had 16 incoming players to start last season. The team finished 6-11-1 last season and failed to qualify for the Big West Conference tournament.

Prior to his UCI tenure, Kuntz served as head coach of the Cal Lutheran University men’s soccer team and the Pepperdine women’s soccer team.

For more information on the CSUF men’s soccer team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

About Tameem Seraj

Tameem is a journalism major and kinesiology minor in his senior year. This is his third semester on the Daily Titan staff and second as sports editor. He transferred to CSUF from Irvine Valley College/Saddleback College, where he was sports editor for The Lariat. The sports enthusiast’s parents say sports is like a religion to him and his heart lies with the Los Angeles Angels, Anaheim Ducks, San Diego Chargers, Los Angeles Galaxy, Liverpool F.C., Minnesota Timberwolves and of course the CSUF Titans. His dream job is to be a beat writer for any of the aforementioned teams.