CSUF volleyball to play final road games of 2013

Senior outside hitter Abbie Miraldi goes down for a dig. Miraldi and the Titans have a weekend road doubleheader against UCSB and Cal Poly SLO. Robert Huskey / For the Daily Titan

Senior outside hitter Abbie Miraldi goes down for a dig. Miraldi and the Titans have a weekend road doubleheader against UCSB and Cal Poly SLO.
Robert Huskey / For the Daily Titan

After two consecutive losses, the Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team looks to notch two victories this weekend against Big West Conference foes UC Santa Barbara and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.

The Titans will be looking for a rematch against the two teams after losing to UCSB 3-0 and Cal Poly SLO 3-1 earlier in the season.

In their first game against UCSB this season, Gaucho Ali Barbeau had 18 kills and a 45 hitting percentage, while Titan Alyse Hensley had 16 kills.

On Oct. 25, the Titans fell to Cal Poly SLO. The Titans were led by Alyse Hensley with 22 kills, while the team had a hitting percentage of 18, blocked six shots, had 90 digs and two aces. On the other side of the court, the Mustangs had a .227 hitting percentage, 10 blocks, 84 digs and six aces, while Anna Gorman led the team with 15 kills.

Overall, CSUF had a hitting percentage of .196, two blocks, 59 digs and five aces. On the other side of the court, UCSB had a .341 hitting percentage with 73 digs and 13 blocks.

This season has been a disappointment for the women’s volleyball team with a 3-10 conference record and 10-15 overall. The only win the Titans had in the past five weeks was against UC Riverside, the last-place team in the conference.

Most recently, the Titans lost to Long Beach State in a 3-1 match. For the second game in a row, senior outside hitter Bre Moreland achieved a double-double with 20 kills and 19 digs.

UCSB sits in second place in the Big West standings with a 10-2 record, their only losses coming against Hawai’i and Long Beach State. Overall, they have a record of 15-9.

The Gauchos have improved from their 2012 season where they went 9-9 in conference and 16-17 overall. UCSB could attribute their success to new Head Coach Nicole Lantagne Welch. She took the helm from Kathy Gregory, who had 882 victories in her 38 years of coaching.

In the Gauchos’ last contest, they beat conference leading Cal State Northridge in a tense 3-2 match.

Freshman outside hitter Ali Spindt led the Gauchos with a game high of 18 kills and 10 digs. At the net, freshman middle blockers Phoebe Grunt and Allie Sullberg combined for 14 kills.

The Gauchos have a commanding 58-8 series lead over the Titans. Over the last 11 meetings, the Titans have fallen to UCSB five times. Currently, the women’s volleyball team are on a two-game losing streak to the Gauchos.

On Saturday, the Titans continue their road trip and travel to Cal Poly SLO. So far this season, the Mustangs have a 5-7 Big West record and an overall record of 11-14.

In their last match, the Mustangs swept the UC Davis Aggies. Senior outside hitter Megan McConnell paced the Mustangs with 15 kills, while senior outside hitter Chelsea Hardin had 13 kills and freshman middle blocker Taylor Gruenewald had 10 kills.

Cal Poly SLO had a 23 percent hitting percentage with five aces and 70 digs.

The Mustangs have a 46-9 series lead over the Titans. Over the last 11 meetings, the Titans have lost to Cal Poly SLO five times.

The first serve against UCSB is scheduled for Friday at 7 p.m., and the game against Cal Poly SLO is scheduled for Saturday at 7 p.m.

For more information about the CSUF women’s volleyball team and all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

About Ashley Binion