TSU to display student artwork

Onlooker examines artwork displayed at the Titan Student Union. JESSICA PINEDA / Daily Titan

Onlooker examines artwork displayed at the Titan Student Union.
JESSICA PINEDA / Daily Titan

Works of art created by Cal State Fullerton students will line the walls of the Titan Student Union during October.

The annual exhibition, which includes canvas painting, jewelry and pottery, will span a three-part gallery as part of a competition funded by Associated Students Inc.

Aimee Sones a visual arts faculty member, and Ed Sullivan, Ph.D., the assistant vice president to the office of Institutional Research and Analytical Studies, will judge at this year’s event. Cash prizes ranging from $100 to $250 will be given to the winners.

Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students from all majors were eligible to submit artwork for the show.

The purpose of the student art gallery is to give students a chance to participate in an exhibition on campus and be acknowledged for their artistic talent, Kim McKinnis, Titan Student Union gallery exhibition coordinator, said.

This is the first year McKinnis has worked with the gallery and hopes the display will expose CSUF students to a vast array of art mediums taught at the university. “Hopefully some students will be inspired to take an art class as their next elective,” she said.

Over 50 entries of various mediums were submitted for this year’s art show. McKinnis was especially happy to see entries from the English department, as well as from business and economics.

All types of artwork were accepted, “Our only requirement is that it fits in the case,” Carol McDoniel, associate director of the TSU, said.

Students began to show their art after the 1992 renovations to the TSU left walls lacking on the second level. The art show was established to showcase student work as well as decorate the newly remodeled TSU.

The TSU Art Acquisition Committee was created in 1990 to build upon a permanent collection of student art work for the enjoyment of building guests.

The Arts Inter-Club Council (AICC) attends the annual show and chooses four to five pieces each year to add to the TSU collection. Submissions are purchased for up to $500, based on materials, with all money going to the student artist.

“I like adding to the permanent collection. I think that’s exciting because we have very interesting, eclectic collection on the walls of the TSU,” McDoniel said. “You can take a walk and see art from 20 years ago. We are going to add to it a little bit every year.”

Student art work makes up the majority of pieces lining the TSU but commissioned off-campus submissions are also featured.

Glass artist Robin Provart-Kelly received her MFA and BFA from CSUF in 2007. Two of her pieces, “Sun Over New Orleans” and “Nebula,” are featured in the TSU’s permanent collection.

“Inspiration for my work comes from simple items that have a personal meaning or representation for me,” Provart-Kelly said.

Provart-Kelly’s work has been featured in expositions across the United States and Italy. Fullerton alumni, such as Provart-Kelly, give allurement to students hoping to establish their work on a broadened scale.

While the event will be coming to a close Nov. 1, the three student galleries of the TSU will be open for submissions for those interested in doing an individual or group showcase.

Gallery space is commonly available for up to six weeks. Students interested in presenting their work are encouraged to contact the art gallery coordinator.

McDoniel also advocates the use of the student gallery for masters projects under all disciplines.

Plans to extend the show into a semi-annual event are in motion.

About Sara Hiatt

About Valerie Schrepferman