Orangefest celebrates fall with food and live music

Photo by Helena Reed

Photo by Helena Reed

A West Coast atmosphere filled the Becker Amphitheater during Cal State Fullerton’s second annual Orangefest: Locals Only fall music festival on Oct. 4.

The concert, hosted by ASI Productions, drew in food trucks and three live bands exclusive and free for CSUF student and the campus community.

Although Friday night’s weather conditions were windy, Associated Student Inc. coordinators were optimistic that the sun would be the shining factor for the SoCal themed event.

“I just feel like this is a really good opportunity to have a great time, meet people, hear some good music, get some free food and get some free stuff,” said Nicholas Jakel, 18, a business major and ASIP street team member. “You can’t really ask for much more than a bunch of free stuff.”

Danielle Manifold, 20, ASIP fall festival and spring concert coordinator, was the leading force behind this year’s Orangefest.

“Using Southern California as the theme of the event, whether it was the sunshine, the beaches and good chill vibes, that’s what I was going for for this event,” Manifold said.

After festival crew members set up, ASI welcomed students by swiping their Titan cards and handing out free food vouchers to the first 450 students.

Some of the food trucks at the event were Kala truck, Longboards Ice Cream, and GD Bro Truck.

The first band who took the stage was alternative-reggae five-piece, Pacific Dub. They delivered an audience interactive performance with easy-going tunes and head bobbing mixes.

Pacific Dub’s drummer admitted he was surprised by the crowd turnout.

“We come here and you see a lot of the students here, and it’s super cool because I imagined that they’re all very busy doing school work and having to study, but my misconception,” Delaney said.

“To me it’s cool to see all these people come out and want to see a show.”

As the evening continued, more students gathered around the steps of the Becker Amphitheater to dance or simply lounge on the grass soaking in the breezy SoCal atmosphere.

“It’s a great event and hopefully they keep doing it more so we’ll keep coming back,” Delaney said.

In between band performances, ASIP street team members hosted raffles and threw prizes, such as free T-shirts, into the crowd.

Following Pacific Dub’s performance was Venice Beach based band Terraplane Sun that triggered an authentic California mood with their indie-rock blues sound.

“They totally have this vintage rocker coastal sound to them that fits right in for the festival,” Manifold said. “It turns out they have a big fan base here at Cal State Fullerton I had no idea about, so it just worked out.”

Amanda Martinez, 18, a freshman political science major said she was excited to watch and meet Terraplane Sun.

“I expected more people to show up but overall it was a perfect amount of people,” Martinez said. “It was a close-knit relationship where you could sit close to the band and it was a close knit atmosphere.”

Psychedelic electro-pop band White Arrows was last on the Orangefest lineup.

The Los Angeles based band ended with a lasting impression that demanded the crowd.

About Helena Reed