CSUF volleyball aim for first Big West win of season

Carrillo_featuredAfter losing to No. 6 University of Hawai’i in Honolulu this Friday, the Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team fell to 0-1 in conference play and 7-6 overall.

The team will be playing two home games this weekend against UC Davis and Cal State Northridge on Friday and Saturday respectively. Both games are Big West Conference matches and will be held in the Titan Gym beginning at 7 p.m. on Friday and 6 p.m. on Saturday.

The Titans will head into Friday’s match having lost their three previous games against USC, American University and University of Hawai’i. This losing streak was preceded by one win and one loss and the team’s dominance in the Fullerton Classic where they were undefeated with a record of 4-0.

The team lost their game against Hawai’i in three sets on Friday. Hawai’i was defending its 2012 Big West Conference championship title in front of more than 7,000 Rainbow Wahine fans. This win gave Hawai’i an impressive record of 12-1 on the season and a No. 6 ranking nationally.

Though they were ultimately defeated, the Titans put up a noble fight during last Friday’s game. Notably, junior Leah Best, and seniors Bre Moreland and Leah Hensley led the Titans with six kills each. Freshman McKenna Painton also showed her value to the team by having 10 successful digs.

In this Friday’s match against the UC Davis Aggies, the Titans will be competing against a team with an overall record of 8-6 and an away record of 2-2. The Aggies lost their recent game against Northridge by one match.

The Aggies were lead by junior Victoria Lee and senior Devon Damelio, who had 15 kills and 16 kills respectively. Notably, Davis senior Jenny Woolway, a setter, had 41 assists in the game raising her career total to 4,013 assists.
Woolway was the first player in Aggies’ history to have more than 4,000 assists.

Prior to this game, the Aggies had a three-game winning streak against Cal State Bakersfield, UC Berkeley and Toledo. In this Saturday’s match against the Cal State Northridge Matadors, the Titans will be competing against a team with an overall record of 10-3 and an away record of 3-1.

The Matadors had five players with double digit kills during their game against the Aggies. Sophomore Cieana Stinson lead the team with 19 kills. Matadors Mahina Haina and Casey Hinger both had 15 kills, while Sam Kaul and Natalie Allen both had 10 kills. A team record was also set by Allen, who had 13 digs in the game.

The Aggies match with the Matadors was the first game in the Big West Conference for both teams. The game was held at Northridge and was the first time the Matadors were victorious in a Big West opener held at home since 2006. The Matadors’ win on Saturday against the Aggies was preceded by a loss to top seeded Washington, which snapped the team’s four-game winning streak.

Since the Fullerton Classic in early September, the Titans have only played once in Titan Gym against American.

The Titans will be signing posters for all fans in attendance after Saturday’s match against the Matadors.

For more information on the CSUF women’s volleyball team and updates on all Titan Athletics, go to FullertonTitans.com.

About Ally Mackey-Fitzgerald