Women’s volleyball hopes to continue their winning streak at the Lone Star Showdown

Senior outside hitter Bre Moreland spikes the ball during  the Fullerton Classic.

Senior outside hitter Bre Moreland spikes the ball during the Fullerton Classic.

The Cal State Fullerton women’s volleyball team will look to continue their recent success this weekend when they arrive in Lubbock, Texas to take part in the Lone Star Showdown tournament hosted by the Texas Tech Red Raiders.

The Titans opened the season with two straight losses but have won five consecutive matches since then and are hoping to continue on with their hot streak. Included in the five consecutive victories for Fullerton was an undefeated 4-0 run through the Fullerton Classic held at Titan Gym this past weekend which saw Alyse Hensley win the Most Valuable Player award. CSUF won the first nine sets in this tournament, sweeping its first three opponents before defeating the Wake Forest Demon Deacons in five sets in the fourth and final match.

This is the longest winning streak for the Titans since they won five straight matches from Sept. 29 to Oct. 19 last season. CSUF will be opening play in the Lone Star Showdown against the University of Nevada on Friday at 10:30 a.m. before taking on Montana University right after that at 2:30 p.m. The final game for CSUF in the tournament is against the host school from the Big 12 Conference, Texas Tech on Saturday at 3 p.m.

Fullerton’s first opponent, the Nevada Wolf Pack, enter the match with a 1-5 record this season. The Montana Grizzlies also enter tournament play with a record of 1-5 so far this year. Texas Tech, the host of the tournament, has a 5-4 record entering their Tuesday game against Abilene Christian.

Each of the four teams will play each other once in the Lone Star Showdown, meaning there will not be a tournament champion crowned at the end of play. However, an impressive showing could give the Titans some momentum as they continue forward this season and get closer to Big West play. The Titans will look to build off of their strong offensive performances in the Fullerton Classic, as well as continue to play the solid defense that allowed them to go undefeated in those four games.

The Titans averaged 6.5 blocks per game in the Fullerton Classic with the highest being nine against Kent State. CSUF also averaged 53.5 digs per game with the highest being 81 against Wake Forest. The Titans also averaged 5.5 aces per game with the highest being nine against College of William and Mary. The Titans had a hitting percentage of over .200 in every game of the tournament with the highest being .356 against Gardner-Webb.

In the past, the Titans have struggled away from home, going 4-8 in 2011 and 5-7 in 2012 on the road in the past two seasons. Going forward, the team realizes that winning on the road is an aspect of their game that they must improve if they want to have a more successful season overall. So far this season the Titans are 4-0 at home, 1-1 at neutral sites and 0-1 on the road.

The first two games of the Lone Star Showdown will be listed as being at a neutral site for the Titans, with the third game against Texas Tech being considered a true road game. This tournament presents an excellent opportunity for CSUF to show it is capable of consistently winning on the road, since they have already proven they can protect their home court at Titan Gym.

For all updates and information about CSUF women’s volleyball and all Titans sports, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Joseph Anderson

Joseph is a senior at CSUF, wrapping up his degree in December. He currently serves the Daily Titan as Sports Editor. The proud owner of two Cy Young awards and one Heisman trophy, Anderson enjoys showing off the hardware to anyone who asks. You will not find a bigger Dodgers, Titans or Thunder fan anywhere in Orange County.