Titan Student Centers decide on location for new Amazon lockers

The Titan Student Centers Governing Board voted on several proposals for upcoming changes for CSUF, including Titan Student Centers Director for the possible addition of Amazon Lockers. DEANNATROMBLEY / Daily Titan

The Titan Student Centers Governing Board voted on several proposals for upcoming changes for CSUF, including Titan Student Centers Director for the possible addition of Amazon Lockers.
DEANNATROMBLEY / Daily Titan

The possible installation of new Amazon lockers in the TSU Underground was back on the table Wednesday during the first Titan Student Centers Governing Board meeting of the semester.

The lockers, which had been approved in the spring, were brought back to the board to request approval of an alternate location for the lockers in the Titan Student Union.

“Last year, the (planning) committee looked at bringing in Amazon lockers to campus,” said TSC chairman Abi Prabakar, a business economics major.

“If you order something on Amazon.com, it’s going to be delivered to our locker on our campus. We were looking at different locations. We ran into some troubles interpreting that location,” she said.

The school would work in cooperation with Amazon to provide students with these lockers, giving them access to their online orders on the Cal State Fullerton campus.

“You can order certain qualifying purchases on Amazon and instead of having these things sent to your home, you can have them sent to this locker,” said Kurt Borsting, TSC Director.

When an order is delivered, a code to unlock the locker containing the package is sent via text.

The board is currently working on deciding an appropriate location for the lockers. The board originally foresaw placement in the Underground in place of the old bowling lockers parallel to the bowling lanes.

These bowling lockers have already been removed due to insufficient usage by students

However, the space that remains is slightly too small to accommodate the lockers.

Borsting explained that the board along with the campus inspector is attempting to figure out if this space is able to be modified to fit the Amazon lockers. They are still working toward a solution in this location, but have come up with alternate locations as a secondary plan.

The first alternative option proposed for the location of the lockers was the computer station adjacent to the bowling lanes. This location would provide plenty of electrical access and data available for use to power the lockers.

Borsting said this area is not being used enough by students to be an effective use of space.

The board hopes that the placement of the lockers in this area will increase usage and be a beneficial resource for students.

The school is attempting to brand this area of the TSU as the “power zone” for students to use for electronics.

The second alternate option is outside of the TSU.

However, the patio area where is unsightly and might pose as a minor safety issue, Borsting said.

The school has entered into a one-year agreement with Amazon for these lockers. Amazon has been very cooperative throughout the board’s decision process, Borsting said.

The board will continue to move towards a decision in the coming weeks.

About Mia McCormick

Mia is a senior print journalism major, a coffee enthusiast, and a lover of meaningful conversation. This is her first semester as an editor, but it is not her first rodeo. This is her second semester with the Daily Titan. But really, she's worked for a rodeo. She aspires to one day become a world traveler and make a living writing about the places, people, and things she encounters along the way. Her main loves in life are well-dressed men, well made food, and well written words.