Smokers unhappy about ramifications of CSUF smoking ban

Deanna Trombley /  Daily Titan

Deanna Trombley / Daily Titan

Rob Delisle said he began smoking ten years ago. He said it started as a social thing that he would only do at parties.

Now, however, Delisle said when he can’t have a cigarette he feels drained and will sometimes sleep all day.

With Cal State Fullerton’s new ban on smoking on campus, Delisle has found it difficult to find alternative places to smoke while he’s at school.

“I go out to the edge of campus every time, and I have to book it because I have 45 minutes of breaks my entire 12 hour day,” Delisle said. “Forty-five minutes of not being in class in which I have to both eat, smoke and really do anything for self-maintenance.”

CSUF put a ban on all tobacco and smoke products, including e-cigarettes, beginning Aug. 1 and became the first CSU campus to be officially smoke free.

The campus began implementing steps and programs, including removing the ashtrays around campus and hosting tobacco cessation workshops.

These tactics were added in an attempt to remind the public that it takes the new policy seriously and will have no tolerance for the smoking of any tobacco product on campus.

Although some students may believe this is a huge step towards a healthier campus, many feel that the new policy only complicates things.

Delisle said that since the ban has been implemented he believes he smokes more.

“When I do take a smoke break I’m more likely to smoke two or three because I know I’m going to be looking at being stuck in class for three hours,” Delisle said. “Between classes it’s hard enough to take a smoke but now when there’s a five minute break from class I can’t get all the way back out to the outside of campus.”

For many student smokers, CSUF’s new smoking ban has not only proved to be difficult, but some students feel it has failed to give them a choice.

To make sure individuals are abiding by the new policy, the university has given power to students, faculty, staff and visitors to make sure that people are following the rules.

Delisle admits that he is aware of the fact that smoking may purpose public health issues, but feels that university officials went a little too far in creating the policy.

“Depending on what the thinking is behind the smoking ban, if you don’t want people to have to walk through smoke, it would have been much better to isolate it into designated smoking areas,” Delisle said.

While the smell of cigarette smoke is a big complaint amongst non-smoking students, many would like to walk through a clean campus without cigarette butts.

“I don’t like the way it smells, and I hate when people litter everywhere,” Destiny Wells, 19, a sophomore and kinesiology major, said.

Wells said she feels that since the ban, she has seen fewer cigarettes on the ground, especially around previously prominent smoking areas such as near Langsdorf Hall.

However, not all students feel the ban is as important as the university is making it out to be.

Matthew Carroll, a 22-year-old senior majoring in criminal justice, said he believes CSUF’s efforts to prevent people from smoking should go towards other things.

“I feel like it’s sort of a waste of time and effort,” Carroll said.

For Delisle, abiding by the rules is difficult at times, but it’s still not the main complaint.

“The ban has no real teeth,” Delisle said. “I understand where the ban is coming from and I’m trying to be as accommodating as possible and helping whatever the goal is, as long as it’s not trying to get me to quit smoking.”

About Helena Reed