Musicians rehearse for Concert Under the Stars

Erica Mahoney/ Daily Titan

Erica Mahoney/ Daily Titan

Soprano, alto, tenor and baritone voices filled the air during rehearsals. After a brief meeting with the director, the room silenced as the voices took the stage.

The voices, collaboratively named The Preeminents, are a Cal State Fullerton student musical theater group. Since the Fall 2013 semester, the students have been practicing a number called “Encore.”

Along with choreography, the students are in the final stages of performing a long-awaited show—Concert Under the Stars.

After a three-year hiatus, Concert Under the Stars will make a comeback this weekend at the lawn north of the Titan Gym.

The alumni performances are always the highlight of the show and inspiration to all current CSUF art students.

This year’s bill includes Kirsten Vangsness (Criminal Minds); Kate Peters, author and voice coach; Jennifer Hubilla, lead role in the musical Miss Saigon; Emily Mitchell, actress; Louis Pardo (Jesus Christ Superstar); Brad Standley, a triple-threat actor, singer and songwriter; Brooke Aston, actress and cabaret performer; Erin McNally, vocalist and actor; and Eve Himmelheber, CSUF theater and dance professor.

“(It is) very exciting to see working professionals who have graduated from the same program and see them off in New York, or in the real world; in the industry,” said Devon Hadsell of The Preeminents.

Concert Under the Stars began as a celebration for the university’s 25th anniversary in 1982, and became a tradition to bring the university and community together through song, dance and performing arts. This annual tradition ended in 2009.

Jim Taulli, associate dean of the College of the Arts, has helped produce the concerts since 2002.

“This has always been an event that has a fantastic outreach. Not just (to) the university community but really the community of Fullerton and the surrounding cities,” Taulli said.

Andrew Sattler, a CSUF senior in The Preeminents, said Concert Under the Stars was an annual event, but due to insufficient funds the university was unable to carry on the tradition. Until now.

“The economy had fallen,” Taulli said. “It’s quite an expensive event to produce, (and) that perception would have been inappropriate.”

Although the attendees can watch the concert from the lawn area for free, reserved seating tickets are available as well.

Taulli said the lawn area allows for students and families to bring a blanket and chairs.

Although, lawn seating space is provided on a first-come first served basis, students are encouraged to RSVP ahead of time.

The three forms of paid reserved seating include table sponsorships, reserved tables and individual table seats.

The reserved tables and individual table seats range from $50-$500.

Food trucks will also be available near the lawn for anyone wanting to grab a bite to eat.

Two large screens, which will show a close-up of the performance, will also ensure no one misses any of the action on stage.

For more information or to RSVP a free lawn seat visit Fullerton.edu/Concert/Index.asp.

About Erica Mahoney