Summer fashion essentials

Photo illustration by Blanca Navarro

Photo illustration by Blanca Navarro

As students bid a farewell to study guides, pop quizzes and all-nighters, they say hello to road trips, sun-soaked activities and, more importantly, less clothing.

Summer invites midriffs, open-toe sandals and of course the iconic short-shorts.

For whatever spontaneous summer adventure that may come your way, here are summer fashion essentials to fully prepare you for any occasion.

Crop top

Crop tops have come a long way since their do-it-yourself days. Fashion bloggers and YouTube personalities would take a regular vintage tee, cut off the sleeves and cut across the midriff portion.

Although it was a trend that was suppose to stay in the ‘90s, the popularity of high waist bottoms and crop tops are a perfect union. This coupling hints the tiniest amount of skin.

Crop tops now come in a variety of styles such as bustiers, turtleneck, sleeveless mock tees, long sleeves and graphic vintage tanks.

Breezy maxi dress 

Save these for those lazy hot summer days when slipping on a pair of jeans and T-shirt requires too much effort. Go for light-colors or floral prints for a laid back ‘70s vibe. Stores such as Free People and Anthropologie are notorious for carrying these styles.

It’s all in the details for this trend. Don’t settle for a simple cotton ruched strapless maxi, spice it up. Look for chiffon or rayon material dresses with fringe, belled-sleeves or accented collars.

Wide-brim hat

Like sunglasses, hats are more than just an accessory. They provide your face with shade from harsh sun rays that can damage your skin.

While you may have become attached to beanies to keep you cozy during winter, it’s time to part ways and make room for a warm-weather accessory.

Go for a straw floppy hat to achieve a cute, feminine summer look.

Wide brimmed fedoras and panama hats will complete an outdoorsy, urban look. Brixton hats are known for taking this timeless style and modernizing it, while staying true to its traditional routes.

Lace bralettes

Sorry mom and dad, but bras are no longer just an undergarment. They’ve become risque accents in women’s summer wardrobes.

But you can’t just wear any bra. Wired bras are absolutely off limits and bandeaus are becoming played out.

However, delicate pastel-colored lace bralettes are accepted. Wear a sleeveless cut-off band tank that reveals the side. These feminine bralettes will tone down the grungy look with the feminine material and innocent color.

Circular sunnies

Last summer brought us cat-eye sunglasses. This retro accessory had girls obsessing over Kourtney Kardashian’s Tom Ford “Nikita” eyewear.

This summer invites round sunglasses, you can thank John Lennon for this one.

If you’re an avid follower of fashion magazines and style blogs, then you already know that this trend has been around for awhile now. If you’re new to the trend, start off with thin metal-framed or thick-plastic framed sunnies.

You’ll soon find out that these can instantly turn the drabbest outfit chic and fashion-forward.

Want to turn it up a notch? Steampunk flip-up shades will make you stand out. This accessory pairs perfectly with vintage baroque style prints, creating the ultimate cyberpunk look.

Summery sandals

Whether you’re chilling poolside, touring a foreign country or taking a brisk walk on the pier, the perfect “go anywhere” sandal is essential.

While designer trends may not be the most comfortable things to slip on, keep in mind that summer garments should not restrain you from having a good time.

Gladiator sandals, T-straps and lace-up sandals help keep your feet in place. These sandals come in various heights, from flat, kitten heels to platforms.

But don’t just buy any sandal, make sure to consider its uniqueness. Analyze its details, from the style, fabric, heel and its embellishments.

Overall shorts

Put a new spin on the classic summer short-shorts. Rekindle a past flame during your lunch box, swing set and sandbox days. Overalls aren’t just for kids.

Celebrities like Rihanna, Mischa Barton and Nicole Richie have sported this kid-friendly trend. Try loose denim overall shorts and pair it with a fitted white tank.

Wear floral-printed overalls and balance it out with a black crop top and black leather boots for a rebellious look.

However, unlike typical mini shorts that come in many varieties at pretty much every women’s retail store, overalls can be a difficult find.

Stores such as Bloomingdales, Gap and TopShop carry a decent selection of overall shorts. Online retailers such as Threadsence, Delia’s and NastyGal also sell a variety of this trend.

About Kymberlie Estrada

Kym is in, what she hopes, is her final year at Cal State Fullerton. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Radio-TV-Film. While she’s not running around in circles in the newsroom, she’s probably on a long distance run outdoors. She hopes to one day strut the streets of New York in her all black attire and 5 inch heels working for an elite fashion magazine. An apple is all it takes to make her day. So give her one. Fuji, preferably.