Softball stifles Highlanders in 4-1 win on road

ROBERT HUSKEY/ Daily Titan

ROBERT HUSKEY/ Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton softball team stayed hot as it increased its winning streak to six games after defeating the UC Riverside Highlanders 4-1 Wednesday at Amy S. Harrison Field in Riverside.

After winning their last five games, the Titans (22-25, 7-8) kept the ball rolling as they struck first against the Highlanders (19-24, 6-10).

In the top of the fourth inning, Titan third baseman Eliza Crawford was able to draw a walk to start the inning. Lauren Mario then came in to pinch run for Crawford. She was able to reach third base on a throwing error by shortstop Natalie Sanchez on a sacrifice bunt by Titan shortstop Gabby Aragon. After first baseman Melissa Sechrest drew a walk to put runners on the corners, second baseman Carissa Turang hit a shot to left center for a single to score Mario from third.

The Highlanders didnโ€™t stay down for long, as in the bottom of the fourth inning they were able to tie things at one apiece. Titan pitcher Jasmine Antunez walked center fielder Kayla White to start off the inning. After stealing second base and advancing to third base on a ground out, White was able to cross home plate when catcher Alexis Pickett reached first base on a fielderโ€™s choice.

The Titans threatened again in the top of the sixth inning when Crawford drew another walk to leadoff the inning. After a sacrifice bunt by shortstop Samantha Galarza that advanced Crawford to second base, Sechrest drove the ball to center field for a double that scored Crawford from second base for the 2-1 lead.

The Titans were unable to put another run on the board in the inning as they leave runners on the corners to end the inning. Crawford finished the game going 1-for-2 with one run scored while Sechrest finished the game with one RBI and one double on a 1-for-2 night.

The Titans broke out for two more runs in the top of the seventh inning when center fielder Ashley Carter started a one out rally with a single up the middle. Designated player Desiree Ybarra then hit a huge bomb to left-center field for a two-run home run for the 4-1 lead. Carter finished the game going 2-for-3 with one run scored while Ybarra finished the game going 2-for-4 with one homerun and two RBIs.

CSUF failed to capitalize on another opportunity after the home run as Crawford hit a double to right-center and advanced to third base on an illegal pitch but was stranded on third base.

The four runs was all that Antunez (15-13) needed as she earned her fifth win a row, which included a no-hitter on Saturday versus UNLV, as she completed seven strong innings allowing only one earned run on three hits, with two strikeouts and three walks.

The Titans look to keep their hot streak alive as they hit the road and head North to take on UC Davis this weekend for a three-game series starting on Saturday. First-pitch is scheduled for noon.

For more information on the softball team, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Sergio Gomez

Sergio is a freelance writer for the Daily Titan. If youโ€™re interested in freelancing for the Daily Titan, contact dtcontent@gmail.com