Women’s basketball playoffs hopes in balance

The Cal State Fullerton womenโ€™s basketball team (9-19, 5-11 Big West) enters its final two games of the season with a chance to secure the eighth and final playoff spot in the Big West tournament.

The Titans take part in two road contests, starting with a 5 p.m. game against Cal State Northridge on Thursday and concluding with a 9 p.m. game against the University of Hawaii on Saturday.

Currently, the Titans are tied with UC Irvine for the final spot. Both teams are 5-11 in Big West play with a .313 winning percentage. UCI also has two games remaining, one against Cal Poly San Luis Obispo on Thursday and one against UC Santa Barbara on Saturday.

The Anteaters will have difficult challenges ahead of them as they play the second ranked team in Cal Poly and the fourth ranked team in UCSB in the Big West standings. The Titans will also be challenged in their contests, especially since they are playing Hawaii, who holds the third spot in the Big West standings.

Not only do the Titans have the Anteaters to worry about, but they also have to worry about 4-12 UC Riverside. UCR also has two games remaining against Hawaii and CSUN.

If the Titans do make the tournament, most likely as the eighth seed, they would play the fifth seeded team in the first round of the tournament on Tuesday March 12th at the UCI Bren Events Center.

The Titans have won two of their last three games, but are coming off a 72-47 loss to Cal Poly on Saturday. A 39-point second half by Cal Poly paved the way for the Titan loss. Sophomore guard Chante Miles and junior guard Alex Thomas were the only Titans to score in double digits, scoring 14 and 10 points, respectively.

The game was close during the first half with the two teams exchanging the lead eight times. The first half ended with the score in favor of the Mustangs, 33-32. Cal Poly played superb offensively in the second half to secure the win.

The Titans need to focus on winning their last two games before they can think about the Big West tournament.

The Titans first take on the CSUN Matadors on Thursday. The Matadors have lost their last three games. Their most recent loss came on Saturday against Hawaii by a score of 69-60.

Sophomore guard Ashley Guay leads the Matadors in points per game with 13.4, has a 42.7 field goal percentage and a 71.8 free throw percentage. She has 95 rebounds and 84 steals on the season.

CSUF will be challenged by the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine (15-12, 11-5 Big West) in their final game of the season at Stan Sheriff Center in Honolulu. Hawaii has won four of its last five games, and has won its last three at home.

For more information about the Big West tournament, visit BigWest.org. For more information about CSUF womenโ€™s basketball, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Gaby Martinez

Gaby is a Sports Assistant for The Daily Titan.