Titans welcome Aggies for series

WINNIE HUANG/ For the Daily Titan

WINNIE HUANG/ For the Daily Titan

Last year, the then-No. 11 ranked Cal State Fullerton baseball team traveled to Texas to take two of three games and upset No. 5-ranked Texas A&M. It was the first time since 1995 that a non-conference opponent won a series on the Aggies’ home field.

This weekend the unranked Aggies will try to exact revenge by traveling to Fullerton and trying to give the No. 13 Titans a taste of their own medicine.

This year’s three-game series is set to begin on Friday, however, according to weather reports there is a high chance of rain. This is not unfamiliar territory for both teams, as game two of last year’s series was postponed at the top of the tenth inning due to rain.

The postponement to the following day was a good thing for the Titans as they took the win in the 11th inning. Austin Kingsolver’s RBI single brought Anthony Trajano home for the 6-5 victory in the continuation of the postponed game.

The Titans then rode that momentum straight into the third and final game with a come from behind victory, 4-3. The game was tied going into the ninth inning when with the bases loaded, Anthony Hutting came into the game to pinch-hit and knocked in the go-ahead run to give the Titans the lead. Michael Lorenzen moved from center field to pitcher in the final inning for the save.

The Titans began the season with the hottest start in school history, 10-0, but have since faltered by dropping the next two. Coming into this game with an 11-2  record, it is important that the Titans defend their home field against the Aggies.

The Titans first loss of the season came at the hands of the No. 11-ranked Oregon Ducks (10-3) on Sunday, 9-1. The Titans collected 10 hits but weren’t able to muster up more than just one run. The Ducks blew the game open in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings by scoring at least a run in each of them, including three in the eighth.

The woes for the Titans continued into Tuesday’s match-up against the University of San Diego Toreros (8-4) as they fell 7-3. All-American Kris Bryant was the difference in the game as he hit two home runs, driving in four of the Toreros’ seven runs.

The Titans allowed the Toreros to get on base much too frequently as they walked a season-high six batters along with giving up eight hits in the game. Sophomore pitcher J.D. Davis was given the loss as he allowed four runs on four hits, three walks and two strikeouts. Davis is now 1-1 on the season.

Hoping to break their first losing streak of the season, the Titans traveled to Los Angeles to take on the USC Trojans (6-6) on Wednesday. The two teams had previously met this season in the Titans’ season opener, which was won by CSUF, 3-2.

The Titans jumped out to an early lead by scoring three in the first inning thanks to RBIs from Carlos Lopez, Anthony Hutting and Lorenzen. In the second, the Titans continued their hot start by scoring another five runs.

In the fifth inning the Titans made it 10-0 as Hutting homered to right field, scoring Chad Wallach and seemingly putting the game away. However, the Trojans were not going to go down without a fight as they scored two runs in both the sixth and seventh inning making it 10-4. But it wasn’t enough as the Titans took the game 11-4.

The Texas A&M Aggies (9-5) will come to Goodwin Field this weekend having lost three of their last four games.

Senior infielder Mikey Reynolds leads the Aggies’ offensive attack in batting average (.463), on base percentage (.508), runs scored (11), hits (25), RBIs (10), and stolen base attempts (9).

Texas A&M has two underclass pitching standouts that the Titans can expect to face this weekend: freshman standout Grayson Long and sophomore Daniel Mengden, who are both undefeated on the season. Long is 2-0 with a 1.65 ERA and has allowed the least hits, runs, earned runs, and home runs of anyone on his pitching staff. Mengden leads the team with three wins and boasts a 2.18 ERA.

For more information regarding this series or the men’s impressive early season start, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Justin Enriquez

Outside of being a rockstar, Justin Enriquez did not know what he wanted to do with his life until journalism came along. It was when he found journalism did he realize his true passion in life. Now years later, he finds himself just months away from graduation and is primed and ready to stake his claim on the sports journalism field. Enriquez has served an entire school-year term as Sports Editor in Mt. San Antonio College’s newspaper The Mountaineer and is currently serving his second semester as the Daily Titan Sports Editor. His interests include basketball, mixed martial arts, music, and clothing. His dream job is to work for ESPN, but is always willing to explore other options as he has always been proud of how he can adapt to writing for any other section of the newspaper.