Titan DJ adds class to his mix

On sorority bid day, Victor Ainza DJ’ed for Gamma Phi Beta from 4 to 6 p.m., packed up his equipment and walked two doors down to Alpha Ki Omega to perform another two-hour long mix.

Courtesy of Victor Ainza

Courtesy of Victor Ainza

For Ainza, a 21-year-old public relations major, this was a normal day—playing music that his audience could dance to and revel in.

While Ainza said he has always had a passion for Electronic Dance Music (EDM), he realized that he wanted to become a DJ during his freshman year of college after doing events, such as bid day, on the Cal State Fullerton campus.

“I like the energy that it creates,” said Ainza. “I love seeing people’s reactions to songs that they’ve never heard before and I just love seeing people having a good time and celebrating the vibes of the good music.”

Ainza said he invested money and started with basic DJing equipment and taught himself from scratch.

After developing skills and upgrading his equipment Ainza said he has everything to DJ private events and is currently financing a new mixer.

He developed his stage name, DJ V3, because he is a third generation, named after his father and grandfather.

The first event that Ainza DJ’ed for was an ‘80s-themed event for Pi Kappa Phi last year in the Titan Student Union Underground Pub.

From there Ainza said that more fraternities and sororities began to notice him as a DJ and hire him.

“He is one of the best DJs that I know, he plays all sorts of music from house to just things that people can dance to and have a good time,” said Ryan Skeldon, 22, a radio-TV-film major and Pi Kappa Phi’s social chair.

Ainza has DJ’ed at the Palms Sky Villa Suite in Vegas and the Yost Theater in Santa Ana as well.

He plans to return to Vegas in June to DJ a back-to-back set with a friend from Vanguard University at Caesar’s Palace.

Through networking, Ainza said that he will start doing events for the Greek system at Cal State Long Beach and UC Irvine.

Ainza also interns at the White Rabbit Group, an event planning and promoting organization for the Yost Theater.

Recently Ainza was accepted to a new position for the company and now interviews DJs before their sets at the Yost.

This month Ainza filmed an interview of  dubstep producers Caspa and Doctor P.

“It’s cool just to be involved in that whole circle and network of DJs and hear from them behind the scenes, picking their brains and understanding what it takes to get to that level,”  he said.

Ainza said that he enjoys playing progressive house music above all else, but those who have seen him perform said that he’s an expert at gauging what the audience wants to hear.

“He’s really good at feeling the crowd. Some crowds like more hip-hop, some like more EDM … he kind of just goes with the flow … He does what appeals to the audience, the dancers’ needs,” said Megan Lomasney, 21, a psychology major and member of Gamma Phi Beta.

Among Ainza’s supporters, he says his father has been his greatest.

“My dad has motivated me and encouraged me to always pursue my dreams, but at the same time to keep school as my top priority,” Ainza said.

Despite his recent success as a DJ, Ainza said he agrees with his father. He said he wants to focus on his school first and considers DJing a hobby.

“I think that there’s definitely opportunities for me if I continue to pursue my dreams and if I really do want to make it a career, I think I’m in the right place to make that happen,” Ainza said.

About Ashley Ruiz