Low cost services help students feel better

Mimi Hung / For the Daily Titan

Mimi Hung / For the Daily Titan

For only $5, Cal State Fullerton students can be poked, prodded, pressed on, cracked or pulled.

Specialty services such as acupuncture, orthopedics and chiropractic are offered at the Student Health and Counseling Center on campus for full and part-time registered students.

“As a student, you cannot get (these low cost services) anywhere else,” said Janis Morton, health educator assistant at the Student Health and Counseling Center.

The university is able to offer such low prices on specialty and routine services that can typically cost upwards of $60 because of a partnership between health science students finishing their programs and neighboring schools such as the Southern California College of Optometry across the street from CSUF, said Morton.

Jasmine Maccasas, 23, a biology major, said as long as there was a doctor present to supervise any procedure done by the health science students, she thinks it’s a good way for the students and the university to help each other out.

Two days out of the week, students can also get eye exams, treatments and diagnoses for a fee of $52 at the health center. Exams are conducted by the Southern California College of Optometry.

Morton said appointments for these specialty services book up quickly, so students should make an appointment early if they’re interested.

Melissa Reynoso, 22, a kinesiology major, said she has not considered acupuncture for herself, but if she wanted to try it out she would probably do it through the university.

“I think it’s a good deal especially if you need it,” said Reynoso about the low cost acupuncture. “A lot of students don’t have insurance, and just for financial reasons I think (the low costs) really (benefit) the student.”

In addition to the specialty services, students are offered routine X-rays, electrocardiogram (EKG) heart tests and general health services for free at the health center. General health service costs are paid automatically because they are included in the tuition prices. However, there is a no show fee of $20 for missed visits.

Maccasas said she is grateful to the student health center for providing such low cost services.

“Students should take the opportunity,” said Maccasas. “I’ve used them twice before for colds and allergies.”

The student health center offers other services such as immunizations, ranging in price from $11 to $143 per injection, physical exams including routine and annual gynecologic exams for women, physical therapy and blood and urine tests ranging in price from no charge to $45.

The health center also offers counseling services for students. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides students with coping skills for personal challenges, self-awareness and adjusting to college life, according to the Student Health and Counseling Center website.

There is no additional charge for counseling appointments as the fee is mandatory in tuition prices. On average, students only need to be seen about four times per academic semester.

The health center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., except Thursday. On Thursday the center is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

CAPS is available Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The center is closed on Saturday and Sunday.

To make an appointment or for more information on any of the services provided contact the Student Health and Counseling Center online at their website or call (657) 278-2800.

About Adreana Young

Adreana is in her fifth year as an undergrad and hopes it to be her last. While she can write word after word and story after story on other people’s lives, crafting a simple 50 to 100 word bio about herself has always proved difficult.