Fullerton to be pinched with Irish spirit

With St. Patrick’s Day landing on a Sunday this year, the term “Sunday Funday” has never been more appropriately coined.

Whether you’re looking for a good time guzzling green beers, getting your riverdance on or just looking for a different way to celebrate the Irish culture, there are plenty of local places to test your luck on. Here’s the lowdown on where the best spots.

If you’re in the mood for hitting up a good ol’ Irish pub, you don’t have to wander too far from campus. Downtown Fullerton is pub party central.
Branagans’s Irish Pub

The Irish pub is hosting its annual St. Patty’s all-day-long party.

Green eggs and ham will be served in the morning starting at 6 a.m., followed by a catholic blessing.

The day-long party will include live bagpipers and Guinness girls to pour plenty of pints to go around.

“Last year it was pretty crazy and this year we are expecting the same again,” said Branagans bartender, Patrick Wise. “It’s always gets pretty packed, so it should be fun.”

6:00a.m.- 2:00a.m.
213 N. Harbor Blvd.
(714) 447-3544
Hopscotch

Although it’s the newest bar in Downtown Fullerton, its rustic vibe presents a more antiqued environment. With its plaid wallpaper and vintage photographs adorning the walls, the aesthetic is rural cool.

Hopscotch is the only place in the area that offers a selection of over 100 craft beers and 75 different types of whiskey, six of which are Irish blended.

“Which whiskey you order depends on whether or not you are protestant or catholic,” said general manager, Thomas Bazzara. “Either Bushmills or Jameson. One of them is distinctly catholic or distinctly protestant, now that’s for you to decide.”

9:00 a.m.-2:00 a.m.
136 E. Commonwealth Ave
(714) 871-2222
Silky Sullivans Restaraunt & Irish Pub

Voted best Irish Pub in Orange County by CitySearch, Silky Sullivans provides the authentic Irish experience.

The restaurant has been serving authentic dishes like bangers, cornbeef and cabbage, and even Irish nachos to the community for 28 years.  The restaurant/pub also features lives music for the day’s festivities.

9:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m.
10201 Slater Avenue,
Fountain Valley, CA 92708
Phone: (714) 963-2718
Orange County Marketplace

The Costa Mesa venue will host its 7th Annual St. Patrick’s Day Celebration & Green Festival Sunday, March 17.

This event seeks to celebrate all things green, from traditional Irish dances to eco-friendly living tips to the Plastic Bag Fashion Show.

The celebration is to recognize that Ireland was the first country to tax plastic bag usage. The enforcement caused a 94-percent drop in plastic bag usage, making it almost a taboo to carry around a plastic bag.

Gourmet food trucks will provide green beer, lemonade and green mint ice cream during the festival.

Admission is $2. Plastic bag donations will be accepted and used to weave sleeping mats for the homeless.

“It’s a unique combination of the Irish and Eco-friendly activities. It’s unique subject matter that’s important to everyone,” said Events Coordinator, Jill Lloyd.

10 a.m.- 4p.m.
Orange County Marketplace
88 Fair Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

About Casey Elofson