FILM: A predictable fairy tale ending

Like previous fairy tale stories turned into motion pictures, Jack the Giant Slayer came to be a disappointment.

With a predictable storyline, mediocre acting and decent CGI effects, the movie was just as expected; a film targeted to children and teenagers.

Director Bryan Singer (X-Men: First Class) took on a different tone unlike its counterparts Snow White and the Huntsman and Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters.

Jack the Giant Slayer had an uplifting, adventurous feel to it unlike past fairy tale adaptations which followed a more dark, mysterious tone.

Although the movie was entertaining, it contained many flaws that were underwhelming to an audience looking for a more serious storyline.

For those who are looking for a movie with no depth or expectable story twists, this is a movie to watch.

Jack the Giant Slayer starts off with Jack, played by upcoming actor Nicholas Hoult (X-Men: First Class and Warm Bodies) receiving beans that create a magical beanstalk to a legendary land. Upon receiving them, the princess is trapped, taken to the land riddled with giants and kept captive.

Jack and a company of troops journey to save the princess from the human-eating giants when the primary villain, Roderick, played by Stanley Tucci, betrays the group and becomes king of the giants.

Roderick goes on to wage war against the group of saviors and the kingdom that they reign from.

Jack manages to make it back to the kingdom with the princess just in time before the giants come to wage war. As the siege against the castle begins Jack manages to to thwart the evil giant Fallon and save the city.

Basically, the storyline could be boy meets girl, boy charms girl, boy saves the kingdom and then the boy gets the girl.

This underlying character development is a rather predictable, drawn out portion of the movie that is obviously the filmโ€™s weak point.

Individual performances by Hoult and Elmont (Ewan McGregor) make this film more engaging as they manage to portray their characters with undeniable charm and witty one-liners. These scenes throughout the film provides a good laugh between drawn out scenes and a washed up narrative.

The rest of the cast puts on a decent yet sometimes cheesy performance with a few amusing scenes.

For instance, Singer was able to portray the giants as vile and evil villains while Jack was saving the princess and her guard Elmont from becoming dinner.

Unfortunately the movie resorted to unflattering humor such as nose picking and farting.

The cheesy gimmicks are a failed attempt to make the movie more bearable to watch for the older generation.

The movie is still appealing to its targeted audience as it portrays the typical American dream theme throughout the movie. It tells the story of a common farm boy switches his destined fate and becomes a brave guardian of the kingdom with a princess at his side.

Jack the Giant Slayer may still do well in the box office as it is a popular childhood fairy tale.

Even with a mediocre storyline and cheeky performances, it will still be a film that people will come out to see as the trailer spills the best parts of the movie.

Fairy tale adaptations have unfortunately found a niche in the movie making business, which means thereโ€™s more to come.

With fairy tale television shows such as Once Upon a Time and Grimm captivating audiences by drawing them to the fantasy genre, it will only be time until another movie will be made.

Until then you can look forward to the next fairy tale to become a major motion picture, Oz the Powerful and Great coming to theaters Friday. Hopefully that movie will come to fruition and beat past fairy tale movies.

Jack may have saved his princess, but he should have saved us from a wasted trip to the beanstalk.

About Cody Leong

Cody is a staff writer on the Daily Titan. Serving as a staff writer of the Daily Titan is a requirement for all Journalism majors.