BRIEF: Convicted rapist sentenced to death

A male inmate received the death penalty today in Santa Ana for a 2007 murder, according to the Orange County Register.

Waymon Livingston, 29, was sentenced to death over life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murder in addition to the rapes of three women and the aggravated assault of another during a two-year crime spree.

Livingston’s sentence is the second death penalty verdict in Orange County this year.

Deputy District Attorney Howard Gundy, said Livingston showed no remorse for his actions, and felt pleasure from humiliating the victims he attacked.

β€œThe depravity of this man … is absolutely astounding,” Gundy told the Register.

Defense attorney Gassia Apkarian said that Livingston grew up in a terrible environment, a mother with four children that she could not handle, and an absent father.

Livingston was first arrested on Oct. 11, 2007 by Anaheim police after forensic examiners analyzed evidence from three rapes and matched genetic material left at the crime scenes to him.

He was later linked to the murder of Ana Gonzalez whose body was found in an Anaheim motel in 2007.

About Tsai-Ling Hung

Tsai-Ling is a staff writer on the Daily Titan. Serving as a staff writer of the Daily Titan is a requirement for all Journalism majors.