A colorful kaleidoscope of culture and beats

Courtesy of Rainbow Arabia

Courtesy of Rainbow Arabia

Electronic duo Rainbow Arabia will fuse global musical inspirations Wednesday at Cal State Fullerton’s Becker Amphitheater.

Not a stranger to the outdoor arena, the band’s keyboardist Danny Preston performed on campus in 2006 with his last band, Future Pigeon.

Since then, Preston left the punk band to form Rainbow Arabia with his wife and former band member of Licorice Piglet, Tiffany Preston on vocals and guitar, and Dylan Ryan on drums.

“It wasn’t until I ordered this Casio from Lebanon that was set up for microtonal scales and middle eastern sounds and beats, that we actually started Rainbow Arabia,” Danny said.

Danny and Tiffany began experimenting with the sounds and settings of their new keyboard and started producing a type of music they’ve played before.

The marriage of their music holds no boundaries with its take on modern club music mixed with worldly sounds.

Danny began Rainbow Arabia when he and his wife quit their former bands.

The chemistry between the fusion of their contrasting musical aesthetics reflects their uniqueness and compatibility as a couple, with Ryan to keep the tempo of their mutuality.

“Typically, Tiffany and I write the music,” said Danny. “Dylan helped in the writing process on our new album. Tiffany writes all the lyrics.”

Rainbow Arabia’s upcoming album, FM Sushi, will release April 15 as a joint distribution by record labels Time No Place and Kompakt.

“Time No Place is a new label Tiffany and I started with our publicist, Tim Jones. We have already released seven artists and plan on another seven this year,” Danny said.

“Kompakt’s inherent love of melody and emotion has seen the label embrace such seemingly disparate styles as ambient, minimal techno, tech-house, shuffle-tech, trance and pop,” Danny said.

Rainbow Arabia is set to tour along the east and west coasts as well as Europe.

The band has three music videos under production to release with their upcoming album, FM Sushi.

“Our new album was influenced from mid-eighties Kraut Electronic music like Tangerine Dream and Robert Schroeder. But mostly it was influenced from music I grew up with through middle and high school,” said Danny. “Bands like New Order, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys, Tears for Fears and Thompson Twins.”

Rainbow Arabia is eager to perform at the Becker Amphitheater and add to their already diverse fanbase.

“We tend to have fans that are into anything from electronic, indie rock pop, pop music, world music and even metal,” said Danny. “Our demographics have no borders.”

About Stephanie Mercado