Titan softball tames No.10 UCLA

ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

Coming off a series split with the previously undefeated Missouri Tigers, the Cal State Fullerton women’s softball team breezed to a 11-5 win over No. 10 UCLA Tuesday in Los Angeles.

The 11 runs scored by the Titans set a new record for the most runs against UCLA, easily passing the previous high of 7, back in 1989.

It was also the second time in four days that CSUF overcame both a top-ten opponent and a first inning delay in the same game. Saturday’s 5-4 win over No. 7 Missouri was pushed back about 90 minutes due to an umpiring conflict, and Tuesday saw a 22-minute stoppage in the bottom of the first when a swarm of bees decided to help out in center field.

The Titans (6-8) started well at Easton Stadium from the get-go, scoring a run in the top of the first, thanks to an RBI single off the bat of third baseman Eliza Crawford. CSUF would pad their lead in the third when designated player Desiree Ybarra connected for a two-run home run, her second in the last three games.

UCLA (13-2) would erase the Titans’ 3-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning via a two-run home run by Bruin designated player Jessica Hall and an RBI single by Brittany Moeai.

Only minutes later, the CSUF offense responded with a four-run top of the fourth to take a 7-3 lead. Center fielder Ashley Carter collected a bases loaded, two-run single, and another pair of runs scored on a Ybarra sacrifice fly and an Crawford RBI-double.

A two-run home run by UCLA left fielder B.B. Bates would cut the Titan lead in half in the bottom of the fourth, but another CSUF rally in the fifth would put away the Bruins.

The Titans loaded the bases for a second consecutive inning and took advantage again. Catcher Ariel Tsuchiyama drew a one-out walk to plate Leesa Harris, and Ybarra added another two RBI with a double to right that extended the Titan lead to 10-5. A Crawford sacrifice fly in the sixth accounted for the game’s final run.

Titan starting pitcher Jasmine Antunez (3-4) collected the win in her 11th start of the season. Ybarra recorded the final six outs. UCLA’s Ally Carda (8-1) suffered her first loss of the season.

The Titans return home to battle the University of Wisconsin at 3 p.m. Thursday and 6 p.m. Friday.

For more information, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Angel Mendoza

Angel Mendoza was a previous sports editor at the Daily Titan, and graduated as a journalism major with an emphasis on print. Mendoza enjoys watching most sports but basketball is his passion. When the Lakers lose, it’s a bad day. His dream job is to work for the Los Angeles Times or Sports Illustrated.