Threestyle awaits DJ duo’s mix

Courtesy of Dyphekta

Courtesy of Dyphekta

Producing music, let alone good music, is without a doubt a difficult task to do.

Mashing and mixing different songs and beats is a whole other fish to tackle. Dyphekta has been able to accomplish this feat and put together a routine that makes people get the urge to dance.

Dyphekta is a group founded by two local deejays, JT Thiranop and Miguel Mendoza. The duo came together to form Dyphekta for their differing styles and thought it would be great to mash them together.

Mendoza specializes in scratching and acapellas while Thiranop provides the effects and the mixing skills. If it sounds confusing and difficult, well, that’s because it is.

“It was not easy in the beginning, but once we got our chemistry down, we were able to play multiple sets and make magic,” said Thiranop.

“Since our styles are completely different, it makes for a good mashup,” Mendoza added.

The duo is scheduled to compete in the Red Bull Thre3style U competition Feb. 21 at the Yost Theater in Santa Ana. Deejays from Vanguard University, Chapman University and UC Irvine are also competing at the event.

During the competition, deejays will have 15 minutes to display their technical abilities and creative minds.

They are required to perform three different genres of music throughout their mix while trying to get the audience dancing the whole time.

Judges will consist of people from the music industry, as well as collegiate opinion leaders.

They will be judging track selection, creativity, mixing skills, stage presence and lastly, crowd reaction.

Thiranop first heard of the competition a month ago when a Red Bull representative approached him about it.

“As soon as we heard about it we started practicing,” Thiranop said.

Thiranop and Mendoza have mixes in mind for their set but are keeping their selection quiet for now.

“You’ll have to come out and see the set for yourself,” said Mendoza. “Everything will be live and we will have certain routines ready to go.”

This will be one of the biggest competitions the duo has been in since winning the spring contest last year.

They seem to be taking the right steps and moving forward to become successful deejays.

“When you think of us, think of the Swedish House Mafia, just with one less guy,” said Thiranop. “We got nothing but pure energy and good times in our mixes.”

Others that the duo likes to compare itself to are DJ AM and DJ Loczi.

Dyphekta’s music contains elements of hip hop, electro, rock and trance.

They pride themselves for mixing all of these different genres into a masterpiece that will make people move on the dancefloor.

The grand prize winners will receive $1000, a sponsorship by Red Bull and bragging rights as the one of the best collegiate deejays in Orange County.

The two are excited for the competition and expect to take home the big prize.

Tickets to the event are free, but you must be 18 years or older to attend.

Buses will be provided for those interested in attending and will be free as well. Doors open at 9 p.m.

About Cody Leong

Cody is a staff writer on the Daily Titan. Serving as a staff writer of the Daily Titan is a requirement for all Journalism majors.