Rodarte brings California to the Big Apple

Herds of faithful fashion devotees paraded the streets during the Mercedes Benz New York Fashion Week 2013 as the world’s most prominent designers showcased their fall and winter collections.

The semi-annual event, which kicked off Feb. 7 and ended Feb. 14, hauled in designers with various fashion backgrounds.

Los Angeles based sisters Kate and Laura Mulleavy showed off their California-inspired clothing brand, Rodarte, Tuesday afternoon at the Chelsea Studio Space in New York City.

Although the sisters follow the ranks of designers and have aspired to being involved in the fashion world for their entire lives, Kate and Laura have created their own paths in the fashion scene.

The Mulleavy sisters graduated from University of California, Berkeley with liberal arts degrees and later moved to Los Angeles to pursue their careers in fashion, a life-long ambition.

Since the California duo founded Rodarte in 2005, they have quickly progressed and have earned a name for themselves.

The sisters have received some of the fashion industry’s most coveted awards such as the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA), Women’s Designer of the Year in 2009 and the Cooper Hewitt National Design Award in 2010, among others.

Rodarte has also collaborated with The Gap, Target and Starbucks to design exclusive limited-edition items. The sisters have also worked to create the ballet outfits worn in the Academy Award winning film, Black Swan, including the pieces worn by actresses Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis in the dramatic final scenes of the play.

Rodarte’s fall 2013 collection, “Back home to Santa Cruz” is a culmination of the sisters’ childhood memories which were spent at the California beach town.

“Back home to Santa Cruz” features elements of the countercultural vibe influenced by their hometown.

Rodarte introduced rebellious, goth-like ensembles made up of layered looks, heavy trench coats, oversized leather studded jackets, acid wash and a dark theme evoked in each model’s attitude.

The collection’s most drooled over pieces were the tie-dye satin gowns with neutral colored 3-D bib-like bodices, which was a great twist on California’s undying trend.

Mercedes Benz Fashion Week 2013 was dominated with New York designers, as usual. Although the Mulleavy sisters didn’t represent sunny days and bright colors—what California is widely known for—they showcased a quite refreshing rebellious scene represented in the west coast.

About Kymberlie Estrada

Kym is in, what she hopes, is her final year at Cal State Fullerton. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Radio-TV-Film. While she’s not running around in circles in the newsroom, she’s probably on a long distance run outdoors. She hopes to one day strut the streets of New York in her all black attire and 5 inch heels working for an elite fashion magazine. An apple is all it takes to make her day. So give her one. Fuji, preferably.