Hunt in progress for man suspected of killing CSUF assistant coach, others

The multi-county police search for ex-Los Angeles Police Department officer Christopher Dorner, 33, continued Thursday night after a truck owned by Dorner was found torched Thursday morning in Big Bear, where police are now searching for the man door-to-door.

LAPD Chief Charlie Beck said Dorner is wanted for committing a series of crimes across Southern California, including the shooting deaths of a Riverside police officer, Cal State Fullerton assistant women’s basketball coach Monica Quan and her fiance.

Two other officers were injured, one critically, early Thursday in two shootings in Riverside County. Police have not yet released the names of the officers as of Thursday evening.

LAPD has established more than 40 protective details to guard officers named as “targets” in a document believed to have been written by Dorner that was posted on Facebook.

Dorner, who was also trained in combat as a former Navy reservist, is considered armed and dangerous.

A police badge and briefcase belonging to Dorner were reportedly found Thursday morning in San Diego, where a man matching Dorner’s description attempted but failed to steal a boat.

Quan, 28, was the daughter of LAPD Captain Randy Quan, who represented Dorner in an LAPD disciplinary hearing in 2008. She and her fiance Keith Lawrence, 27, were found dead in a car in an Irvine parking structure late Sunday.

Police believe Dorner is targeting law enforcement personnel as revenge for being terminated by the LAPD in 2009 following the result of a disciplinary hearing.

Police consider Dorner armed and dangerous.

About Samuel Mountjoy

Sam is a senior journalism major who has been working in student publications since high school. He was previously the editor-in-chief of a community college newspaper in the Palm Springs area. His first Titan byline came less than two months after he transferred to CSUF. Sam has been known to chase after sirens in hopes of a story, and hopes to soon become a professional news reporter.