Doctor convicted of sexual assault

An anesthesiologist was sentenced to six months in jail Wednesday after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting three unconscious female patients, according to the Orange County Register.

Yashwant Balgiri Giri, who worked at Placentia-Linda Hospital, will lose his medical license and must register as a sex offender for life.

A hospital employee witnessed Giri fondling an unconscious womanโ€™s breasts as she underwent an operation.

Three victims had allegedly been fondled and touched from 2009 to 2011.

The Orange County District Attorneyโ€™s office said the 60-year-old should face jail time because he violated his position of power.

The hospital was fined $50,000 by the state Department of Public Health this month for failing to immediately report Giri to police.

Giri was placed on bail after his 2011 arrest. He had initially plead not guilty to sexual battery to an institutionalized victim and sexual penetration by a foreign object of an unconscious victim during his first arraignment at the North Justice Center in Fullerton.

About Samuel Mountjoy

Sam is a senior journalism major with minors in political science and public administration. He has been working in student publications since high school. This is his third semester as a Daily Titan news editor. Before joining the Daily Titan, Sam was the editor-in-chief of The Chaparral at College of the Desert.