On solemn day, state honors fallen hero

funeral1_webA funeral was held on Wednesday morning for slain Riverside officer Michael Crain who authorities said was killed on duty last week by former Los Angeles police officer Christopher Dorner.

The procession attracted more than 7,000 attendees, including California Gov. Jerry Brown.

At least a dozen helicopters circled the church, Grove Community Church in Riverside, during the procession.

Dozens of patrol cars and motorcycles trailed behind the hearse, escorted by two police cars, at around 8:30 a.m.

Crain, a former U.S. Marine, was buried at the Riverside National Cemetery.

Riverside Police Chief Sergio Diaz addressed the 34-year-old’s family at the service. Crain’s wife, Regina, as well as other friends of Crain’s spoke during the 90-minute funeral service.

The funeral also featured a slideshow with music including Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton, according to the Press-Enterprise.

Crain’s partner was also shot but is expected to recover, according to authorities. His identity has not yet been released.

About Andrea Ayala

Andie is a Print Journalism major and French minor who proudly serves the Daily Titan this semester for her third attempt at becoming half as talented as her Daily Titan peers. When she is not in the newsroom, she is at the SORC desk working or at the Gastronome, which she thoroughly loves. This semester, she is excited to start an internship with the OC Register, to be a part of Tusk magazine, as well as work hard to improve the Daily Titan as Content Editor. Little known fact about her: She spent her first semester at the Daily Titan at what is known as “the other side” (Advertising). Andie loves: traveling, languages, reading, movies and writing. She also enjoys: excessive sarcasm, snide remarks and long walks on the beach. Her plans for the future include visiting every continent, learning Arabic and catching a live karaoke performance of “Africa” by Alvan and Ian.