CSUF earns its wings at Red Bull DJ competition

Photo by Mimi Hung

Photo by Mimi Hung

Old-school hip-hop beats laced over catchy electronic dance music pumped through the sound system of the Yost Theater in Santa Ana on Thursday night.

The crowd, made up mostly of college students, couldn’t stop moving their feet to the rhythm, mouthing the words and raising their glasses to the DJs spinning on stage.

JT Thiranop and Miguel Mendoza, the dynamic DJ duo behind the group Dyphekta, grinned from ear to ear, hands flying over the turntables as they cued up their next song.

Red Bull’s Thre3style U competition was well underway and the pair were making their 15-minute playing slot worth every second.

Just before their set, Thiranop and Mendoza were calm and collected. No nerves or anxiety took over and they felt confident in what was to come.

“We bring a certain uniqueness that’s different, that not what a lot of people have, especially that there’s two of us,” Thiranop said.

The challenge required DJs to mix three genres of music during a 15-minute set. DJs were judged based on track selection, creativity, mixing skills, stage presence and crowd reaction.

It was a tall order, but Dyphekta conquered the battle and took first place and the $1,000 grand prize, beating out competing DJs from UCI, Chapman and Vanguard University.

Saish Kotecha, a music director for Titan Internet Radio and panel judge, said the duo’s fluidity and ability to keep the crowd hyped the entire time put them above and beyond the others.

The Thre3style event was held in the theater’s upper balcony loft, causing for some cramped quarters. Despite the limited dance area, every square inch was filled with students from across Orange County coming out to show support for their school’s DJ.

Loren Piretra, field marketing specialist for Red Bull, announced to the crowd that the event was intended to shed light on local talent, especially at the collegiate level, and provide support to individuals pursuing their goals.

“Our motto is ‘Give your dreams wings’ and we hope that tonight, all of these talented competitors will do just that,” said Piretra.

Dyphekta was the opening act for CSUF’s 2012 spring concert featuring Mike Posner. Thiranop said that since then the group’s name has been more recognizable, which lead to helping them land the Thre3style U opportunity.

“Look where we are now. After our competition last year when we got to perform for Mike Posner, now we’re doing this. We’ve got the momentum to keep rolling through,” Thiranop said.

There was a lot of pride and bragging rights for the Titans that went out to support Thiranop and Mendoza, much to the dismay of those supporting the other schools.

The group’s Facebook page has been grown increasingly popular over the weekend with congratulations and compliments on their job well done.

“A BIG BIG BIG shout out and congrats to CSUF DJ Dyphekta for dominating Red Bull Thre3style U – Orange County tonight!!!” said one commenter.

Thiranop and Mendoza focus on having a good time while mixing and translating their high energy into the crowd, which proved to be a smart tactic for them.

Dyphekta will continue to produce unique mixes for their fans and look for more opportunities to showcase their talents in the future.

To hear more from Dyphekta, visit their music stream at SoundCloud.com/Dyphekta.

About Rebecca Lopez

Rebecca is a staff writer on the Daily Titan. Serving as a staff writer of the Daily Titan is a requirement for all Journalism majors.