Breach the Summit gaining ground at Becker

Courtesy of Breach and Summit

Courtesy of Breach and Summit

Jacob Berger, Sam Beresford and Olen Kittelsen are more than just signatures at the end of their high school yearbooks.

Their band, Breach the Summit, will be making their first college performance at the Becker Amphitheater Wednesday at noon.

Berger and Beresford unofficially started the band about five years ago.

Breach the Summit began as a class project and later became a Battle of the Bands contestant three separate years, winning studio recording time.

After a few brief encounters with potential band members, Berger and Beresford invited Kittelsen to play a more permanent role in Breach the Summit as both a drummer and lead singer.

With bassist and drummer stand-ins from time to time, Kittelsen has shown his commitment to Breach the Summit for the past year. Berger and Beresford agreed that his voice was perfect for their sound.

Hesitant to classify their genre, indie-pop is about as close as they can to describing it. With influences like Foster the People, Imagine Dragons, Two Door Cinema Club and Young the Giant, Breach the Summit hopes to provide music for an audience in need of a high-quality, cut-and-dry style.

With a lighthearted approach to music and an understanding that listeners sometimes give songs a chance for only three seconds, they write as they go. They commit to a song if they like it, they throw it out completely if they don’t.

“If we know that we like something immediately, then there’s a good chance that other people who listen to it will,” said Berger (guitar).

Breach the Summit has kept their momentum by writing and playing.

Breach the Summit focuses on the audience to provide a peppier kind of indie tune that they can be confident listeners will enjoy.

“We constantly replace old songs with new songs,” Beresford said.

Although there is not a release date set, fresh songs can be expected on the band’s new EP.

Breach the Summit is one of the youngest bands to be nominated in the 2013’s OC Music Awards for best new artist and best live band.

Out of 500 submissions, they were chosen as one of 35 bands admitted.

“To even get recognized is a huge deal,” Berger said.

Breach the Summit’s debut on a college campus really is a huge deal to these bright and focused young men, especially being given an hour-long set to play everything they want to play. They are confident to capture a few dedicated followers from their next unsuspecting audience.

Knowing that the Becker Amphitheater concert series is what gave Young the Giant their break, Breach the Summit is grateful for Cal State Fullerton’s invitation to perform.

About Stephanie Mercado