Big West foes come to CSUF

ROBERT HUSKEY/ Daily Titan

ROBERT HUSKEY/ Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team looks to extend their two-game winning streak this weekend when it faces the University of the Pacific Tigers tonight and the UC Davis Aggies on Saturday.

The Titans (14-13, 6-8 Big West) will also look to bring their conference record back to .500 with a pair of wins this weekend. The Titans currently sit in seventh place in the conference standings. The Tigers (15-12, 9-5) are currently second in the conference and the Aggies (12-14, 7-7) are in sixth place.

The Titans host the Tigers tonight at 8:05 p.m. in a double header with the women’s team, which plays UC Santa Barbara at 6 p.m. CSUF is 6-5 at home this season and hope that remains true at the end of the night.

The Titans are coming off big wins against Cal Poly 77-60 on Feb. 20 and at Texas A&M Corpus Christi 63-57 on Saturday. The Titans were without starting senior forward Sammy Yeager during those games, but his absence did not equate into any losses. However, the team won’t want to get too comfortable without one of their “big 3” players.

Senior guard Kwame Vaughn, senior guard D.J. Seeley, and sophomore guard Alex Harris all stepped up in Yeager’s absence. Vaughn led the team in scoring in both wins, compiling 41 points, 12 rebounds and eight assists during that span. Seeley was just two points shy of Vaughn in each game, posting 37 points, four rebounds and six assists. Harris chipped in with 23 points, 11 rebounds and four steals. The Titans will need the same level of effort if they are to extend their winning streak.

The Tigers are currently on a season long four game road trip and have dropped the first two contests against UC Irvine and Western Michigan. Pacific has struggled away from home, only winning 2 of 11 road matches.  The Titans will look to add to their road woes and avenge the 71-67 loss on Jan. 26 to the Tigers in Stockton. The Tigers lead the all-time series record against the Titans 47-37. This will be the final matchup with the Tigers as Big West foes, as Pacific will be moving to the West Coast Conference next season.

CSUF will celebrate senior day at Titan Gym with another doubleheader on Saturday with the women’s team playing Cal Poly at 3 p.m. and the men’s team playing UC Davis starting at 6:05 p.m. This will be the last home game for both the men and women, as they will conclude their seasons on the road.

UC Davis will begin a two game road swing tonight, but the Aggies haven’t been much of road warriors, posting a 4-9 away record. They play last-place UC Riverside tonight after a close 79-78 win against Northern Colorado in their previous contest. The Titans are just one game behind the Aggies in the Big West standings and could potentially move into sixth place by the end of the weekend. The Titans lead the all-time series with the Aggies 12-7 and are 5-3 at home against UC Davis.

The Titans will look to sweep the season series with the Aggies after they won on Jan. 24 at Davis, 95-88, in a high scoring affair. CSUF hasn’t scored more than 90 points since that game and haven’t put up more than 80 points in the past six matches after ranking third in the NCAA earlier in the season in points per game. The Titans will look to rekindle some of that offensive firepower for this weekend’s matchups.

About Tameem Seraj

Tameem is a journalism major and kinesiology minor in his senior year. He is a copy editor for the Daily Titan at Cal State Fullerton for Fall 2014.