Becker steps into The Shade

Courtesy of The Shade

Courtesy of The Shade

Do you want impressive guitar solos, Weezer-esque harmonies, driving drum fills and thumping bass to make you itch for some good ol’ rock ‘n’ roll?

The Shade gets the energy going by incorporating alternative rock and pop punk to their tunes to get.

As part of Cal State Fullerton’s Becker Amphitheater weekly concert series, The Shade, a Los Angeles-based band, is next to take the stage as they put their own spin on classic rock.

The four-member band describe themselves as “some guys who make songs to sing or party to.” But this band is far from forgettable.

The Shade’s members include Josh Adachi (bass, lead vocals), Stephen Zuniga (guitar, lead vocals), Ray Peregrina (guitar, backing vocals) and Jon McCraken (drums/percussion).

Originally, The Shade was going to be named Oily Lumps.

“We decided on The Shade for it’s dark and mysterious qualities. Also, it’s always cooler in the shade,” Zuniga said.

The Shade was united by the band mates’ collective adoration for classic rock, the kind that plays in the background as your father reminisces and revisits the early days.

“We are definitely classic rockers. Early influences for the band would be pretty much anything from the British Invasion, bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks and The Who,” Zuniga said.

Their top five songs to live by during the zombie apocalypse would include: “2000 Light Years from Home” by The Rolling Stones, “Baba O’Riley” by The Who, “Tomorrow Never Knows” by The Beatles, “Where Is My Mind?” by The Pixies and “Comfortably Numb” by Pink Floyd.

And in the spirit of rock ‘n’ roll, their first full-length album Spirit, released in March 2012, was produced entirely by the band.

This explains tantalizing organic sounds featured in their tracks. The songs have been mixed and equalized so well that it’s hard to resist the temptation of blasting their tunes.

“It (the album) was titled Spirit because of the multiple meanings that stem from the word. Spirit captured the innocence of the time we were writing the album and also the youthful and fun nature of the songs on that album,” Zuniga said.

The Shade captures the spunk of youth, along with the joys and hardships that comes with it.

One of the tracks off Spirit called “WTF” talks about a love-struck guy trying to understand the feelings he’s going through when falling for a girl.

The lyrics follow the storyline, “I don’t want to ease the pain—what the f*** is going on?”

“I Am Drained,” the final song of Spirit is a solid four minutes of the band showing what they really have to offer. It’s got the angst and the drive that gets you thinking, “Dude, you’re not drained at all, by the sound of it.”

They’ve got the crunch and beat to get head bangers and moshers to move. The Shade is planning a west coast tour this spring and are releasing a single in March.

Further, the band is also working hard on a new album release within the year, giving fans plenty to look forward to.

“On Spirit we were a little bit fixated with the idea of people breaking up and moving on,” said Zuniga. “Our next album will be about people falling in love and getting together and there will be more acoustic guitars.”

Spirit is available on iTunes. Stay in tune with The Shade at Facebook.com/welcometotheshade and make sure to catch the band Wednesday at noon at the Becker Amphitheater.

About Deanna Trombley

Deanna is a 4th year undergraduate working towards her B.A. in Communications with an emphasis in Photo Communication. Her biggest aspiration is to one day be a panel moderator at Comic Con in Hall H, and not have to get in a 12 plus hour line to do so. Her hobbies include playing guitar, bass, zombie hunting, saving the galaxies in the Mass Effect trilogy and going on a life mission to read all works by F. Scott Fitzgerald.