Homecoming celebrations welcome students into spring

homecoming_WEB

Courtesy of CSUF alumni association

New pens and pencils, blank paper, a planner and binder that has yet to be filled.

It’s the start of a new semester and for some that means a new “welcome,” others a “welcome back,” but to all, a “welcome home.”

While stepping foot on campus after winter break may be difficult, Titan Tusk Force has made the return easier by preparing a week of activities and events for students to feel at ease and more at home.

Titan Tusk Force, a group part of Associated Students Inc., has been planning homecoming week since the end of fall semester and throughout winter break.

“Our ultimate goal for the event is to bring as many students to the game as possible on Saturday, support our athletic programs on campus and pump up school spirit,” said administrative director Rachel Hanners.

“All of the events are free, in fact anything with the ASI logo is free for students. Our mission is to provide free activities for students to get involved on campus and have fun,” she added.

Homecoming week will kick off Tuesday with a pep rally in the Quad from 12-1 p.m.

Tiffany Santana, marketing and recruitment coordinator for Titan Tusk Force, said the cheer team, dance team and band will make an appearance in Tuesday’s pep rally.

“All of the events take place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. because it is a time where we are able to make as much noise as we can on campus, many students have break during that time and the music and entertainment attract people,” said Santana.

On Wednesday, there will be a fashion show in the Quad from 12-1 p.m. featuring student models wearing Titan gear from Titan Shops.

Hanners said the fashion show will include opportunity drawings for students to win prizes, free food and an appearance from a special guest.

Thursday’s event will turn the Titan Walk lawn into a carnival from 12-1 p.m.

Booths will be set up with food such as popcorn and nachos, a photo area, a caricature artist and games.

Friday’s event will give students living on campus a chance to socialize in the residence halls from 5-7 p.m.

There will also be a pre-game festival outside the Titan Gym at 5 p.m. Saturday.

homecoming01_WEB

Courtesy of CSUF alumni association

Activities before the game will include an activity zone where students can take part in crafts, face painting, carnival games, a photobooth and more; there will also be dance performances and give-aways.

Titan Tusk Force partnered with many other on-campus organizations and community organizations to put on the pre-game festival, Hanners said.

The festival will offer a balloon artist, crafts, games, live performances from the band, spirit squad and dance team.

In addition, there will be appearances by Tuffy the Titan.

Tip-off time for the game is at 8 p.m., as the Titans take on Hawaii.

Jasmine Gonzalez, 20, a child development major, said although she is not an avid college basketball fan, she would not miss the homecoming game.

“I am a Lakers fan, but it’s more fun going to support a team where I actually go to the school,” Gonzalez said. “I feel like I know the team more personally and it’s more fun that way.”

ASI Productions will hold a student-only dance after the game on Saturday in the Titan Student Union Underground at 10:30 p.m.

Information booths and sign up sheets for this week’s events will be set up throughout campus today at the Student Recreation Center, the Quad, the Titan Walk and student housing.

The booths will run from 9-10 a.m., 12-1 p.m. and 5-6 p.m.

“We tried to enhance this year’s homecoming events and make them even crazier … We only have one semester left, so why not have fun with it,” Hanners said.

For more information on how to purchase tickets to the game, visit Fullerton.edu/Homecoming.

About Ashley Ruiz