Women’s basketball taken to the pound by Bulldogs

ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

After a five-game losing streak, the Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team (2-6) looked to get their season back on track against Gonzaga University (8-2). Unfortunately for the Titans, the Bulldogs took control from the opening tip and rolled to an 83-44 romp.

The Titans have been reeling as of late, their last win coming against the University of San Francisco on Nov. 17. Although the team is struggling, all previous losses had come by way of single digits. It was no exception in their recent 52-43 loss against the University of New Mexico.

The CSUF offense was held in check all game, shooting only 27 percent for the game. CSUF sophomore guard Chante Miles led all scorers in the game with 12 points and was the only player on either team to score in double figures. Sophomore forward Kathleen Iwuoha also played well, putting in six points and leading all players with nine rebounds.

New Mexico spread the wealth scoring wise, having three players with seven or more points. Junior guard Sara Halasz led the team with nine points, while freshman guard Bryce Owens put up eight points and had six steals for the game.

CSUF’s 43 points scored against the Lobos was the lowest offensive output for the Titans since scoring 39 points against UC Santa Barbara in February. The Lobos are also unblemished against Fullerton, as they have a 4-0 all-time record edge.

Against Gonzaga, the Titans were down 6-0 early in the first half. The Bulldogs came out putting down three of their four field goals. CSUF responded with a 10-2 run immediately after, but their lead wouldn’t last long. Although the Titans would keep the score close in the first half, Gonzaga never trailed the rest of the game and went into halftime with a 40-29 lead.

The Bulldogs continued their strong play to start the second half. Gonzaga drained six of their first seven field goals, going on a 15-4 run and going up 55-33 with 16:24 left to play. Fullerton couldn’t muster up a comeback as they only managed to drain two field goals the rest of the game. Their 15 points scored in the second half was Fullerton’s lowest scoring half of the season. The Titans have not won away from their home court, Titan Gym, in 13 straight games dating back to last season.

Sophomore forward Sunny Greinacher put in 16 points on 8-of-12 shooting to lead the Bulldogs on at McCarthey Athletic Center. Junior guard Haiden Palmer poured in ten points and senior guard Taelor Karr had 11 for the Bulldogs. Redshirt freshman center Shelby Cheslek also played well, scoring eight points, grabbing seven rebounds and putting away four blocks.

For the Titans effort, sophomore guard Chante Miles scored 18 points on 8-of-17 shooting as the only double-digit scorer for the Titans. No other CSUF player was able to record more than seven points all game.

For more information on this game and the women’s basketball team, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Angel Mendoza

Angel Mendoza was a previous sports editor at the Daily Titan, and graduated as a journalism major with an emphasis on print. Mendoza enjoys watching most sports but basketball is his passion. When the Lakers lose, it’s a bad day. His dream job is to work for the Los Angeles Times or Sports Illustrated.