Walking in Bilbo’s hobbit feet

“Chip the glasses and crack the plates! Blunt the knives and bend the forks! That’s what Bilbo Baggins hates!” The 13 dwarves of the Oakenshield company don’t only slay goblins and orcs, but manage to charm hearts with their chants and songs.

It feels so good to be back in the Middle Earth that you almost never want to leave it. Thanks to Peter Jackson, you may don’t have to.

Martin Freeman takes on the role of Bilbo Baggins, the beloved anti-social hobbit that was hand picked by Gandalf himself to embark on a quest much larger than his hobbit feet were prepared for.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is the first of a three-part installment in telling the story of Bilbo Baggins. J.R.R. Tolkien fans will be pleased to know that this gives several more hours of opportunity to keep the fine details of the novel itself.

The Hobbit is an origins story for several plots in the Lord of the Rings trilogy in which you get to learn where Sting came from, how did Bilbo come across the one ring, why dwarves and elves can’t stand each other and why Bilbo is well… Bilbo.

The movie begins right where The Fellowship of the Ring begins—in the shire where Bilbo is writing his stories and Frodo is preparing for Gandalf’s arrival.

We get the chance to be reminded of the Bilbo we have come to know and love before being taken back 60 years into the past.

One of greatest elements in The Hobbit was the electric chemistry the cast members had with each other. There’s nothing quite satisfying as Gandalf toying with Bilbo’s nerves.

Bilbo is reluctantly introduced to 13 dwarves that have banded together to take the Lonely Mountain back from the evil dragon Smaug.

Thorin Oakenshield is much like Lord of the Ring’s Aragorn in that he comes from a powerful bloodline but has the poor fortune to brood in the shadows, hardened by his heartbreak and rage.

Balin is the kind hearted and wise dwarf of the group, and the quickest one to befriend the misfit hobbit in their group.

There’s also Glóin, Gimli’s father who brings in the ginger haired grimace that fans have grown all too familiar with.

Then there’s Kíli, the archer of the dwarf company, both mischievous and charming and his brother Fíli who is equally as courageous and endearing.

Ori is the dorky one of the group, smaller than most of the dwarves, but has just as much spunk as the rest.

Among these and the rest of the company of dwarves, Bilbo is invited to be the burglar of the group after having his pantry and dining room raided.

Next thing you know, you’re watching Bilbo excitedly running through the Shire with his signed contract for his admission into the quest, his backpack bouncing along on his back, looking much like a happy child with his permission slip to a school field trip.

Bilbo shouting, “I’m going in an adventure!” is probably the most thrilling line in the whole film because you know you get to come along too.

One of the most brilliant and memorable scenes of the film is the riddle scene between Bilbo and Gollum. The massive array of expressions Gollum goes through in the span of about 15 minutes is remarkable.

There is almost a clear defining line between Gollum and Sméagol, marking him as two separate people in the body of one deranged creature. You know what he is capable of, but still, something about that twisted little runt always tends to pull at your heartstrings.

Andy Serkis delivers again with Gollum’s child-like mannerisms and bone chilling relapses into the monster he has become.

Bilbo finally puts his blade called Sting to use; regardless of the fact that compared to most Elven weaponry, according to Ballin, Bilbo’s blade serves more as a letter opener.

Still, Bilbo manages to (accidentally) slay a Warg with said letter opener. Not too shabby, Baggins.

The Hobbit offers plenty of action and battle sequences to keep you wide-awake and on the edge of your seat for the whole length of two hours and 49 minutes.

If pace is a concern, rest assured there is not much to fret about. There is plenty of change in scenery to keep up the pace while the important details of the story remain seamless in the scenes.

There are also a handful of major characters from the Lord of the Rings trilogy that return to the silver screen for this Middle Earth story.

The Hobbit was definitely worth the wait for any Middle Earth fan and has an ending that was beautifully tied with a ribbon to leave more than enough anticipation for the second installment; anticipated to be released next year.

Celebrate the end of the semester with the most beloved dwarves J.R.R Tolkien and Peter Jackson have to offer. Kick back and relax like a proper hobbit and go along for the ride, you deserve it.

About Deanna Trombley

Deanna is a 4th year undergraduate working towards her B.A. in Communications with an emphasis in Photo Communication. Her biggest aspiration is to one day be a panel moderator at Comic Con in Hall H, and not have to get in a 12 plus hour line to do so. Her hobbies include playing guitar, bass, zombie hunting, saving the galaxies in the Mass Effect trilogy and going on a life mission to read all works by F. Scott Fitzgerald.