Senate to battle electronic privacy

Capitol Hill lawmakers will perform a balancing act between electronic privacy and national security this week, renegotiating a measure granting the government the power to intercept cyber communications without a warrant.

Policymakers currently use the measure contained in a law known as the FISA Amendments Act to seize emails and intercept telephone calls from overseas foreigners.

The Washington Post reported some communications between U.S. citizens and foreigners of intercepted emails and phone calls have been “scooped up” by the government.

Some have argued the measure is vital to protect against foreign threats posed by terrorists or other malicious groups aiming to cripple the country.

Other politicians are worried too much power the measure provides impedes on citizens’ right to privacy provided by a warrant as well as other privacy protections.

Currently, the government refuses to divulge details of citizens’ communications that have been intercepted or monitored.

About David Hood

David Hood is a newspaper and print design enthusiast. He is proud to be the co-winner of the National Scholastic Press Association’s 2008 Design of the Year Award for Newspaper Design for his high school newspaper, Crimson, in Paso Robles, Calif. After serving the Daily Titan as a Layout Editor, he traveled to Washington, D.C. to the Washington Journalism Center where he interned as a business reporter at The Washington Times and garnered 20 bylines, four on its front page. He hopes to rekindle people’s interest in news for better public discourse and understanding.