Men’s basketball preyed upon by Eagles in first game of weekend trip

It was a tale of two halves as the Cal State Fullerton men’s basketball team (3-3) dropped a close game to the Eastern Washington University Eagles (2-5), 79-75. The game took place on Friday in Cheney, Wash.

The Titans went into the halftime break up 46-39, making 17 of 38 shots for 44.7 percent from the field and half their three-point attempts, shooting 6-of-12 from behind the arc.

They could not keep this momentum going as they went ice cold in the second half, including a near seven minutes without a field goal, near the end of the game.

CSUF shot 7-of-25 for 28 percent and an abysmal one-of-ten from three.

The loss breaks the Titans three game winning streak and brings their overall record to .500. However, they kept another streak going as it was CSUF’s fifth-consecutive road loss dating back to last season.

For the Eagles, it was only their second win of the season as they began the season 0-4. Winning their second in the last three games, the win brought their overall record to 2-5.

The Eagles closed the game strong by ending the game making 7 of 8 from the free throw line including a pair to put the game out of reach for the Titans with 1.4 seconds left.

Eastern Washington were led by freshman forward Venky Jois and junior guard Justin Crosgile as both racked up double-doubles in the comeback victory. Jois scored 22 off a blistering 71.4 percent from the field and grabbing 13 boards. Crosgile scored 16 points, grabbed 10 rebounds and dished 6 assists in the game. Crosgile also turned the ball over seven times in the game.

The Eagles also had a strong performance from freshman forward Thomas Reuter who had 16 points and five rebounds. Reuter also racked up an assist, steal and block in the game. Reuter was the spark plug in the game as he scored 11 consecutive points for the Eagles, rallying the team in the second half.

Off the bench, sophomore guard Parker Kelly contributed with 12 points, three rebounds, two assists and two steals.

Despite the loss, the Titans had strong performances as well as senior guards D.J. Seely and Kwame Vaughn both scored more than 20 points. Seely scored 21 from 8-of-16 shooting and was a factor on the defensive end as he grabbed six boards and stole the ball five times. Vaughn racked up 22 points, 2 rebounds, and two assists in the game.

CSUF also had solid rebounding performances from redshirt senior Sammy Yeager with nine boards and freshman guard Jared Brandon, who grabbed seven boards.

As a team, the Eagles outshined the Titans in the big three statistical categories. They shot 45.6 percent from the field off 26-of-57 shooting and grabbed 40 boards and 16 assists. The Titans, on the other hand, shot 38.1 percent, grabbed 33 rebounds, and dished out 13 assists. CSUF turned the ball over only 13 times, compared to the Eagles’ 16 and had 13 fast break points as opposed to Eastern Washington’s four fast break points.

For more information on this game and the men’s basketball team, visit FullertonTitans.com

About Justin Enriquez

Outside of being a rockstar, Justin Enriquez did not know what he wanted to do with his life until journalism came along. It was when he found journalism did he realize his true passion in life. Now years later, he finds himself just months away from graduation and is primed and ready to stake his claim on the sports journalism field. Enriquez has served an entire school-year term as Sports Editor in Mt. San Antonio College’s newspaper The Mountaineer and is currently serving his second semester as the Daily Titan Sports Editor. His interests include basketball, mixed martial arts, music, and clothing. His dream job is to work for ESPN, but is always willing to explore other options as he has always been proud of how he can adapt to writing for any other section of the newspaper.