Jackpot winner yet to claim ticket

Two winning lottery tickets, purchased in Missouri and Arizona, were drawn Wednesday night. The jackpot value was $587.5 million, according to CNN.

The winning ticket holder from Missouri claimed her money Friday but the winner from Arizona has yet to come forward.

Winners have 180 days to claim their winnings.

Although, the nearly six million dollar prize will be taxed at the highest federal tax rate of 35 percent, which is based on the highest income earners.

“A lot of lottery winners aren’t good with their money and run through it quickly, so sometimes an annuity is a good idea so that they save money,” said Mark Luscombe, principal analyst at tax research firm CCH.

Winners also have the option to receive $385 million in cash right away, but it too will be taxed heavily.

If the winners from Missouri and Arizona take lump sums of $192.5 million they would owe the IRS $67 million because of the federal tax rate.

About Kymberlie Estrada

Kym is in, what she hopes, is her final year at Cal State Fullerton. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Radio-TV-Film. While she’s not running around in circles in the newsroom, she’s probably on a long distance run outdoors. She hopes to one day strut the streets of New York in her all black attire and 5 inch heels working for an elite fashion magazine. An apple is all it takes to make her day. So give her one. Fuji, preferably.