A week in the life of an ASI leader

Wake up, brush your teeth, get to school, go home, do homework and  go to work.  This is a typical day for a college student, however, for two of Cal State Fullerton’s heavily involved leaders on campus, busy is an understatement.

Meetings and mingling with staff and faculty are only part of their day, along with classes and maintaining a personal life. Not to mention they are just a few of the student leaders on campus who help maintain our student government.

A typical Monday for Josue Eduardo Rodriguez, 21, chief executive communications officer, would consist of a Monday morning Executive Staff Meeting held from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. where he and fellow colleague Samuel Morales, 21, chief administrative officer, a political science major, congregate with other Associated Students Inc. leaders to meet and discuss issues.

“A typical day for me would start out with me going to class and then once I get out then my staff and I begin to prepare for an event. The event will usually start at 12 p.m. and go till 1 p.m. (usually the ASI Cookout) and then we have clean up,” said Rodriguez.

While his staff is finishing clean up, Rodriguez prepares for the next meeting on his agenda, a Board of Directors Meeting from 1:15 p.m. to 3:45 p.m.

He then attends a marketing meeting with the TSU Marketing director from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., and ends the night by preparing for the Night Student Outreach event from 5:30-6:30.

“Then it’s off to start doing homework or attend a fraternity event if there is one that day. (In between I attend both my classes at 8:30-9:45am and 11-11:50 a.m.),” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said his favorite part of the job is incorporating his creative concepts and organizing events.

“I enjoy coming up with creative concepts for T-shirts, thinking of new ways to improve communications for the overall ASI and overall, putting on events for the students,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez said the hardest part of his job is when he gets a creative block and cannot decide on a promo item that will benefit the students which they will also enjoy.

Being a chief administrative officer like Morales is just as heavily involved.

“The main purpose of my job revolves around getting students involved in any ASI clubs programs or committees or in general anything that they are interested in. It also revolves around updating the policies and by laws of the corporation of ASI,” said Morales.

As soon as Morales leaves his morning meeting, he goes back to his office and checks through his daily email as he prepares for his long eventful day, which includes being the chair of the University Affairs committee.

“We focus on university issues. Students who have issues meet with me and we bring it up to the university. Right now we’re focusing on academic advising,” Morales said.

Morales said his job is not crazy, although it can get a little hectic.

“The hardest part of my job would be to have to balance everything evenly, as far as planning everything being a student leader and also being a student,” he said. “We have to remember that we’re students for the students so we have to prioritize our academics while serving the students.”

Dwayne Mason Jr., 22, ASI president and CEO has admiration for both of his fellow colleagues.

“(Rodriguez) is a hard worker. He has helped ASI have a very successful semester by helping us reach over 3,000 students at events,” said Mason.

Mason said Rodriguez is also working to revamp the ASI website and continuing to improve the way in which ASI communicates with students.

Mason also admires Morales for his execution in connecting with students on a one-on-one basis.

“(Morales) has done a great job of connecting students to the campus and he has grown a lot in his position with myself and Katie Ayala, the ASI executive vice president,” said Mason. “This year, two of his big pushes are surveying students about academic advising and informing students about the smoking ban taking effect in the fall 2013.”

Kayla Coriaty, 21, chief governmental officer and a political science major, also admires Rodriguez and Morales.

“Both are extremely hardworking and dedicated.  They are definitely good role models for the younger incoming ASI leaders,” said Coriaty.

Tags: , , ,

About Lauren Torres

Lauren is a staff writer on the Daily Titan. Serving as a staff writer of the Daily Titan is a requirement for all Journalism majors.