Women’s basketball welcomes the Dons

ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team will play in their second home game of the season Saturday with a 2 p.m. matinee at Titan Gym against the University of San Francisco Dons.

The Titans (1-1) are coming off a colossal 94-75 victory over Sacramento State last Sunday.  Chante Miles had a stellar game scoring a career-high 18 points. She also made four three-pointers in the win and seven of her 17 field goal attempts. The sophomore point guard is expected to develop as a leader on the team and proved so in her outstanding performance. Junior guard Alex Thomas also posted career stats with her 17 points. It was an overall team effort with five different players posting double-digit numbers.

One of the keys to the win was early scoring. The Titans began the game by scoring on four of their first five shots. The Titans grabbed a 9-4 lead only three minutes into the game. They held a lead for most of the game, trailing only two times in the contest. Miles came up strong at the end of the first half scoring seven points, which gave the Titans a 31-43 lead. CSUF retained the lead for the rest of the game to seal the victory.

Forwards Kathleen Iwuoha and Lauren Bushong made both of their free throw attempts. Bushong, the senior who plays both forward and center, blocked two shots in the win. That brought her to a career total of 51 blocked shots, which brought her to eighth on CSUF’s all-time blocked shots list.

The Titans shot 44.6 percent from the field goal and 40.9 percent on three pointers, and had a stellar 73.3 free throw percentage. They also had 58 rebounds and 36 bench points.

The Titans’ 94 points was the second highest number of points that they had scored in a game since Dec. 9, 2010 when they scored 100 points in a victory also over Sacramento State.

CSUF now looks to their upcoming game against the USF Dons. USF is coming off a 65-52 victory against University of Hawaii in their home opener. USF also played UC Davis in a battle Wednesday night. The 1-0 start for the Dons is the first time since the 2003-2004 season that they began the season with a win.

In their win against the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine, Dons’ senior guard Mel Khlok led the team in scoring with 17 points. Khlok said that the team played well as a unit and had excellent team chemistry, cohesion, and coherence, which greatly contributed to the win.

USF did not begin the game well and were down 7-2 just a few minutes into the first half.  At about the midway point of the half, the Dons went on a 14-0 run to solidify their lead at 19-13. USF comfortably held the lead for the rest of the game until University of Hawaii surged with life coming within five points of the lead. Khlok scored eight points to solidify the victory for the Dons.

The Titans look to stop Khlok’s offensive efforts and come up with a win putting them one game above .500 on Saturday afternoon.

For more information about women’s basketball and their upcoming schedule, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Gaby Martinez

Gaby is a Sports Assistant for The Daily Titan.