Women’s basketball to welcome NAU Friday

ROBERT HUSKEY / Daily Titan

The Cal State Fullerton women’s basketball team (2-4) looks to get back to its winning ways at home Friday in a game against the Northern Arizona University (NAU) Lumberjacks (0-6).

CSUF is coming off two tough losses in the Cal Classic Friday and Saturday against Georgetown University and Eastern Washington University.

CSUF played well in the hard-fought games. Against Georgetown, CSUF played excellently in the second half scoring 35 points, but fell just short in the loss, 53-51. In the game against Eastern Washington, the team also went on a few scoring runs in the second half, but lost the game 50-45.

Although the team lost both games, it did come back in the second half. This is indicative of the Titans’ work ethic. Head Coach Marcia Foster assessed her team’s performance.

“It’s twofold. First, we need to execute better so we don’t put ourselves in holes early. So instead of catching up, we’d be extending a lead. Second, the good part is that we are competitive and don’t ever quit,” said Foster.

In both games, the team struggled offensively, especially in shooting from the field.

Foster addressed the Titans’ poor field goal shooting percentage.

“We’ve been spending a lot more time in practice on getting more shots up,” Foster said. “Again, it comes down to execution. I think we can get better shots. That should help our shooting percentage.”

Although the Titans have not been making all of their shots, it’s a good sign that they have been shooting often.

“I like the fact that we have a lot of opportunities to shoot the ball. We had more opportunities to score than they (Georgetown) did. Our shooting will improve,” Foster said.

It is still early into the season. The team has plenty of time for improvement. Coach Foster is optimistic about the team’s ability to improve and grow.

“We are still learning how to play together. This is a team that didn’t spend a lot of time working together last year,” Foster said. “We are young so you should see continued improvement throughout the year with everything with execution with shooting. We should continue to get better defensively as well.”

The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks’ 0-6 record is a bit deceiving. They are better than their record indicates. Their winless season will also make the Lumberjacks desperate for a win.

Coach Foster commented on what she expects from NAU.

“NAU is going to be tough. NAU has a couple of really solid offensive performers. We have our work cut out for us as far as defending them,” Foster said. “They are a team that is hungry for a win so expect them to come in and compete. They are a good team.”

NAU has quite a few offensive weapons. Senior center Aubrey Davis leads the team in shooting percentage with 51.2 percent. Senior guard Amy Patton leads the team in points with 150 and points per game with 25.

The Titans not only want to defend these players, but also hope to establish their game, especially trying to build a lead early in the game.

“We are a team that needs to establish who we are. It’s about us improving,” Foster said.

For the Titans, senior point guard Chante Miles leads the team in average points per game with 14.5 and free throw percentage with 80 percent. Bench player, Natalie Williams, who averages 15.2 minutes per game, leads the team in field goal percentage at 60 percent.

The team hopes to extend its two game home winning streak and snap its three game losing streak.

Cal State Fullerton plays Northern Arizona University Friday at Titan Gym at 7 p.m. For more information, visit FullertonTitans.com.

About Gaby Martinez

Gaby is a Sports Assistant for The Daily Titan.