Students band together to sing and grow as performers

Although their voices and experience range, together the Titan Men’s Chorus sounds like a powerhouse of sound.

Titan Men’s Chorus, led by music director and professor Christopher Peterson, does not require students to audition, nor to be music majors.

Benjamin Taitz, 21, a psychology major, was not aware that there was a men’s chorus on campus until a friend from UC Irvine encouraged him to search.

The purpose of the course is for students to learn how to read music, sing in tune and become better musicians. The chorus, ranging from 45-55 voices, sings genres such as classic literature, close harmony and barber shop.

Peterson, who students have nicknamed “choir whisperer,” works with students, regardless of their musical experience and teaches them how to improve their singing.

“(It’s) amazing to watch him work, (we are) very lucky to have (Peterson),” said Jeremy Wiggins, 28, a graduate assistant conductor.

Peterson, who has been teaching at Cal State Fullerton for six years, is a “magician when it comes to teaching,” Taitz said.

“If anyone likes to sing and thought they couldn’t (they) would be surprised how much they would grow as singers,” Taitz said.

Peterson helped Taitz, who had no previous choral experience, to blend and match his pitch.

Luke Verseput, 20, a music education major, said he enjoys the fact that the chorus is men only.

“(It’s) the first time that (I) sing with just men,” said Verseput.

Joining the Titan Men’s Chorus is a way for students to socialize with one another and make new  friends. The sense of comradery was one of the reasons why many of the members joined the class.

The group of men have practices outside of campus, retreats and extra rehearsals.

Since the course is open to all students, many join just for fun, Peterson said. Many of the members were motivated to join because of their pleasant high school choir experience.

“(Titan Men’s Chorus is) fun. (We) work very hard, sing very well. People want to be part of something that’s good,” Peterson said.

All their hard work pays off at their performances. The class is scheduled to perform at the Deck the Hall at CSUF concert Dec. 8 at 8 p.m. and Dec. 9 at 4 p.m. in Meng Concert Hall. Tickets to the concert are $25, or $20 with student ID.

Peterson encourages anyone curious about the group to watch the class rehearse Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30-3:50 p.m. in Clayes Performing Arts Center Room 127.

“More people would do (the Titan Men’s Chorus) if they knew about it, and knew how much fun it was,” Peterson said.

About Michelle Tuyub