New illustrations revamp a classic children’s graphic novel

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel is a great way to enjoy the classic children’s tale which brings both science and science-fiction together for this illustrated version.

The illustrator, Hope Larson, complements the original story for young children to get involved in this classic.

Even without reading the original, Larson captures every nuance that children could easily spend an afternoon ciphering through with ease.

Fans of the original were usually kids who did not fit in.

The graphic novel is an easy and enjoyable read down memory lane and makes a great gift for this holiday season.

But before you sit to give it a read, it only takes about an hour-and-a-half when read straight through.

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel becomes the first illustrated version of the classic children’s tale and delivers it well.

Larson gives a genuine illustration to Madeleine L’Engle’s first installment of her Time Quintet.

However, L’Engle never intended to have the story illustrated.

Reviewing the graphic novel of A Wrinkle in Time seems childish because the story is geared toward a younger crowd.

Although it’s doubtful that many Cal State Fullerton students would want to read it, there is still cause to celebrate since it’s the 50th anniversary for the novel.

Larson’s rendition is not very different from the original, but a reader who has recently read it will catch the small differences throughout.

Larson used her skills as a cartoonist to illustrate this version of the story.

Both novel and graphic novel start with the same opening words, “It was a dark and stormy night,” and then the graphic novel follows the original scene for scene.

Larson is a cartoonist based out of Los Angeles and was honored with the Eisner Award in 2007 for her previous works.

This is considered to be the highest honor in comic books and she does not disappoint.

She uses a very simple color palette consisting of blue, white and black, which if you have read the original, the use of color in some cases is significant.

However, she seems to catch the expressions of the original which is interpreted in the readings with such relevance that the color palette becomes a secondary issue.

But the cover is deceiving as it is in full color.

In each of the twelve chapters, as in the original, the story follows the story of one of the first female protagonists named Meg Murry, her younger brother Charles Wallace and their friend they meet at the start of the story, Calvin O’Keefe.

Meg is a lanky, troublesome, awkward young girl. Many in her town are considered morons, including Charles Wallace because he does not speak to anyone outside of his family.

Calvin O’Keefe is considered to be a smart and athletic boy although Charles Wallace and Meg Murry are extremely bright young kids.

Meg Murray, Charles Wallace and Calvin O’Keefe meet Mrs. Who, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Which and are jet setted on an adventure across the universe to save Meg Murray and Charles Wallace’s father.

A Wrinkle in Time: The Graphic Novel deserves praise.

Hopefully for fans, Larson will eventually redo the whole Time Quintet series.

About Adam Ross