Hamas fires rockets at Tel Aviv

The No. 2 official in Hamas declared Saturday in an interview with the Associated Press that it will not halt arming Gaza militants.

Moussa Abu Marzook made the comments just three days after the worst fighting between Israel and Hamas in four years broke out last week.

“There is no way to relinquish weapons,” Abu Marzook told the Associated Press. “These weapons protected us and there is no way to stop obtaining and manufacturing them,” he said in his office on the outskirts of Cairo.

Hamas is suspected to have stockpiled a large arsenal of thousands of rockets since the last round of fighting ended four years ago. It has been said that the group has been smuggling weapons through tunnels under the border with Egypt.

Last week, Hamas fired Iranian-made Fajr-5 rockets that were enroute to Tel Aviv, Israel’s capital and Jerusalem for the first time. They were intercepted by Israeli missile defense systems.

About David Hood

David Hood is a newspaper and print design enthusiast. He is proud to be the co-winner of the National Scholastic Press Association’s 2008 Design of the Year Award for Newspaper Design for his high school newspaper, Crimson, in Paso Robles, Calif. After serving the Daily Titan as a Layout Editor, he traveled to Washington, D.C. to the Washington Journalism Center where he interned as a business reporter at The Washington Times and garnered 20 bylines, four on its front page. He hopes to rekindle people’s interest in news for better public discourse and understanding.