Glass pieces found in cholesterol drug

Popular cholesterol drug manufacturer Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. has recalled more than 40 batches of their product, warning that it may contain small particles of glass, according to CNN.

Ranbaxy is recalled its 10-, 20- and 40-milligram tablets of atorvastatin calcium. A total of 41 lots of 90- and 500- bottles are subject to be recalled at retail level.

The small glass particles, which are may be found in select Ranbaxy products, are estimated to be less than 1 millimeter in size.

“Ranbaxy is proactively recalling the drug product lots out of an abundance of caution, and in keeping the safety of our customers in mind,” the company’s U.S. subsidiary said in a statement.

In 2006 and 2008, two Ranbaxy plants came under fire for its conditions from Food and Drug Administration officials. This led to the January 2012 agreement with the Justice Department that said Ranbaxy submitted false data to the FDA and stopped the company from making drugs for the American market until U.S. standards were met.

About Kymberlie Estrada

Kym is in, what she hopes, is her final year at Cal State Fullerton. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Radio-TV-Film. While she’s not running around in circles in the newsroom, she’s probably on a long distance run outdoors. She hopes to one day strut the streets of New York in her all black attire and 5 inch heels working for an elite fashion magazine. An apple is all it takes to make her day. So give her one. Fuji, preferably.