Elmo puppeteer on leave amid under-age sex scandal

The anonymous man who made allegations of an “under-age sexual relationship” with Sesame Street puppeteer Kevin Clash recanted his statements Tuesday.

The man, now 24, had claimed to be involved with the now 52-year-old Clash when he was only 16 years old.

According to the New York Times blog Media Decoder, this comes a day after the claim was released by the law firm Andreozzi & Associates, who represent the nameless man; Sesame Workshop first fielded an accusation from him back in June.

Clash, best known for voicing and puppeteering “Elmo” on the popular PBS program, released a statement Tuesday expressing his relief the allegation had been addressed, but said he would not discuss matters further. He announced Monday that he would be taking a leave of absence from Sesame Street while the claims were cleared.

Currently, Sesame Workshop has not given any timeline for when or if Clash will return to work, but has shown support for the puppeteer. The production of Sesame Street has been reportedly uninterrupted during the scandal.

About Ricardo Gonzalez

Ricardo Gonzalez is a print journalism major in his final semester at CSUF. He is both proud and extremely humbled to be working as the Daily Titan’s Opinion Editor this semester. He loves to write, hopes to get payed to do so someday, but oftentimes finds himself far too distracted by his Internet obsession to get as much work done as he’d like. Besides (failing to find time for) writing, his great loves include video games, film and professional wrestling. To him, all are art forms.