Campus groups support troops

Photo by Eleonor Segura / Daily Titan

The “Wall of Heroes,” a collection of photos and profiles of Cal State Fullerton community members who have served in the military, was set up Monday for all to honor between the Pollak Library and the Titan Student Union.

Beneath the pictures are bits of information about the veterans, their majors, what academic year they are and what they want to do in their future.

For the past three years, the Wall of Heroes event has been put on by the Veterans Student Services (VSS) in order to honor veterans and men and women who are currently serving.

“We’re trying to raise awareness on campus of the veteran population (to) help us become more visible on campus so we can better provide for the veteran population,” said VSS vice president and veteran Peter Weiman.

In addition to the Wall of Heroes, VSS will be holding a tree planting ceremony Friday, along with the groundbreaking for a plaque dedication to commemorate veterans.

Following the ceremony, the VSS will be celebrating their grand opening for their new office. It will provide support and counseling for veterans and their friends and family, along with many other attributes such as computers, scantrons and blue books.

“The hardest transfer for military coming back to school, or one of the hardest since we’re usually older than the normal college student, is the relational,” said Weiman. The office will provide veterans a place to come and socialize with people they can relate to.

The CSUF President Scholars Program is also working to support veterans and active servicemen alike. A branch of the President’s Scholars Program, the Veterans President Scholars Program (VPSP), hosted a care package event Monday. The program gathered in the TSU to box up and send out packages of toiletries, books, socks and candy to troops.

The VPSP boxed 20 care packages to send to troops all over the world, said VPSP President Jacob Gomez.

Gomez was deployed multiple times during his four and a half years at CSUF in the Navy. He said care packages are one of the only things, next to talking to one’s family, that can boost a soldier’s day.

“It really gets blurred, the lines do, when you’re over there. (You think) ‘What am I even here for?’ Seeing that, seeing that you have the support of the civilians and the people of this nation is really beneficial and really perks you up. So, care packages are really important,” said Gomez.

According to Gomez, the care package event is something that has been put on by the President Scholars Program for a while now, even though the VPSP was only born last year.

Iraq veteran Michael Jenkins joined the VPSP this year and said things like care packages mean a lot to the troops overseas.

“I did two deployments over in Iraq from 2002 to ‘07 and a lot of times we would get random packages from some association and it always feels awesome. It’s really a morale boost,” said Jenkins “It’s not just that you’re getting candy or books, but it’s more that people are supporting you and are behind you,” said Jenkins.

“And that’s really important being over there, because there’s a lot of bad things that can happen over there so just getting a care package from a random person and you know you have their support and their backing you that means a lot,” he said.

About Adreana Young

Adreana is in her fifth year as an undergrad and hopes it to be her last. While she can write word after word and story after story on other people’s lives, crafting a simple 50 to 100 word bio about herself has always proved difficult.