Blurred Youth: Hate cannot defeat hate

The mentality of “us vs. them” is undoubtedly a harmful route. To provide progression towards equality, acts of intimidation and division should be the last thing in someone’s agenda.

“Die Cis Scum” is a slogan recently brought to fruition by transgendered anarchists and employed through social network sites such as Tumblr and YouTube. The phrase carries the heavy burden of violent implications and only further complicates our already divided community.

Cis itself is not an insult. For those unfamiliar with the term, “cisgender” is used to identify those who associate his or her gender identity with the one that they were assigned at birth, as well as carrying out the societal roles that are associated with such gender.

To further put cisgender into context, it is essentially a word used to show a certain degree of fairness to the transgender community, instilling a sort of political correctness and doing away with the implications of what entails being “normal.”

Within the LGBT community itself, labels have the tendency to be esoteric and that can often be burdening to those outside of this group; individuals assign themselves specifically, and with that comes an even broader spectrum of interpretation. In turn, people are easily and constantly offended, LGBT or not.

“Die Cis Scum” is one of those phrases that does not need to exist. It is a violent call to arms. It is insinuating that transgender people resort to the same hostility that the transphobic cis community has bestowed upon us. However, there must be some sort of justification in supporting a completely anti-cis agenda.

That reasoning is quite simple: The transgender community has suffered humiliation.

We have been mentally shamed. Hundreds of us are persecuted on an everyday basis and many are even killed every year. The world cannot accept who we are and for that we are angry at this chauvinistic cis society that we have had to endure since birth. We are in turn, “justified” to feel discontent; just as any other “minority” has felt throughout history.

But as Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that,” and I agree with that in every way. For all that can motivate to hate, it’s a lot harder to love, and such an attitude of unyielding positivity is the true root of progression.

I do not wish to carry the burden of “Die Cis Scum.”

Part of the solution is that we within the LGBT community need to approach acceptance from transphobic people in the same manner that we try to get anyone else to accept us on an everyday basis. We remove the veil of our hatred and we display ourselves as pure. We can’t make someone an enemy before knowing that they can actually be our friend. We need to be truthful in our kindness, and hopefully kindness shall be received back. If kindness does not heal, then respectful education comes next. Historically, hostility seldom works, and hostility in general only tends to fuel tensions that may not even be there.

“Die Cis Scum” has the ability to offend possible allies to our cause. The phrase has been defined by supporters as only referring to those who show hostility towards transgender people, but interpreting it in such a way is not that simple.

The term, like many other creations of the LGBT community, is conducive of being an extremely convoluted umbrella phrase.

If there is one thing I have learned from the LGBT community, it is to not make assumptions and always take a step back. Why don’t we analyze “Die Cis Scum” and its damaging implications in the same way?

Certainly the word “transgender” can be seen as detrimental. After all, we are just people like anyone else. But if being a “transgender” is seen as detrimental, so are labels of any kind. We need to cease complicating ourselves with unnecessary words. “Die Cis Scum” is not what we need and may only set back what we have gained for ourselves so far.

The world has not come to accept the LGBT community so quickly, but progress is happening every day. If it is said that “violence is not the answer,” then it certainly has no place within the transgender community as much as it does within the cis community.

About Julie Nitori