Amateur scientists, astronomers discover planet with four suns

A new planet with four suns was discovered by a team of amateur astronomers and scientists, according to NASA.

The group of volunteer scientists first discovered a double-star planet, which aided to the discovery of an additional pair of distant stars orbiting the planet.

The scientists are from Planet Hunters, a Yale-led program that NASA allows to review astronomical data for signs of planets in movement using the orbiting Kepler telescope.

There are six known circumbinary planets. The planet, given the name PH1, is the only known planet to be in the orbit of four stars.

PH1 is a bit larger than the Neptune and is believed to be a gas giant. It orbits its host stars every 137 days.

“I celebrate this discovery as the fruit exemplary human cooperation—cooperation between scientists and citizens who give of themselves for the love of stars, knowledge, and exploration,” said Kepler scientist Natalie Batalha.

About Kymberlie Estrada

Kym is in, what she hopes, is her final year at Cal State Fullerton. She is majoring in Journalism and minoring in Radio-TV-Film. While she’s not running around in circles in the newsroom, she’s probably on a long distance run outdoors. She hopes to one day strut the streets of New York in her all black attire and 5 inch heels working for an elite fashion magazine. An apple is all it takes to make her day. So give her one. Fuji, preferably.