Kaiser Permanente to open its new state-of-the-art hospital

Photo by Robert Huskey/Daily Titan

The newest Kaiser Permanente hospital will be opening its doors in Anaheim on Sept. 12, and will service surrounding cities, including Fullerton and Orange.

The new 27-acre campus, located off La Palma Avenue, is comprised of two office buildings, Kraemer Medical Offices One and Two, to go along with the hospital. The medical offices are currently operational and open to the public.

The new emergency department has 36 patient care bays, dedicated entrances for patients and ambulances, a helicopter landing pad and a permanent decontamination facility.

“The New Anaheim Medical Center hospital will replace the Lakeview hospital,” said Assistant Director of Public Affairs for Kaiser Permanente Orange County, Scott Kelly. “The Lakeview hospital structure will close temporarily for re-engineering. The plan is to re-open in a few months, but the services provided are to be determined.”

Kelly also said that the Lakeview Medical Office Building will remain open, but the services offered there would change with the addition of the two new medical offices on La Palma Avenue.

As far as a change to local emergency services for students, the construction of the new hospital does not necessarily mean that a patient will be sent to the new Kaiser Hospital if they call 911 from CSUF.

“The medical team that responds makes the decision as to where you will go for care based on the severity of your medical condition, the level of care required and the travel time necessary to get to the Emergency Department,” Kelly said. “It may be the Kaiser Permanente Anaheim Medical Center Emergency Department or it may be another emergency department, St. Jude’s, for example.”

Joe Stasney, the project director, said that it took four and a half years to plan and develop the $425 million project.

“With the development of any major project such as the Anaheim Medical Center, there are always challenges along the way,” Stasney said. “But because of the wonderful collaboration with the city of Anaheim and all of the design and construction partners, the medical center was delivered to the residents of Orange County, on time and on budget.”

The hospital will feature 262 beds in private rooms, 10 operating rooms, 20 intensive care unit beds and over 1,500 parking spaces.

State-of-the-art technology will be implemented in the hospital, which will not only help medical personnel to do their job, but also to make a patient’s stay more pleasant.

“In addition to our industry-leading electronic medical record system, HealthConnect, new and advanced technological innovations have been incorporated into the new Anaheim Medical Center for members to experience a calm, soothing and interactive approach to health,” said Julie Miller-Phipps, senior vice president and executive director of Kaiser Permanente Orange County.

Other technologies that will be implemented around the campus are kiosks where patients will be able to check into appointments and make co-payments using Wi-Fi access.

“The (technology) that first captures everyone’s attention is the iPad technology used in the Interactive Digital Experience to engage members through social media and gamification,” Kelly said.

A main focus for the hospital is “healing for the inside and outside.” With this focus, the facility was built with a three-acre healing garden so patients can find an outdoor environment any time they might feel like a breath of fresh air.

The garden features three separate sections each with its own purpose. One section is quiet and dedicated for personal reflection, another is for families and the last is suited for large group gatherings.

“We are so proud of what we’ve accomplished,” Miller-Phipps said.

For new families, the hospital will be Kaiser Permanente’s first to feature individual neonatal rooms for babies, as opposed to grouping them together, ensuring a family’s privacy.

Kaiser Permanente is the country’s largest HMO and insures 455,000 Orange County residents.

About Ethan Hawkes

Ethan is a journalism major in his last semester at school. He is multifaceted, having skills in both print, photography and multimedia.